How often have you been able to fix a faulty product by yourself?

Procreator

As the title states How often have you been able to fix a faulty product by yourself?

This is obviously made harder and harder when products get more complicated, but when you know it's just a faulty wire or something like that, do you at least try to fix it before taking it somewhere to be fixed.

I've worked in customer support and It's ridiculous how small the problems sometimes are.:hopelessness:

Well, i've been once forced to fix a broken external keyboard since the support was off for the holidays. :(

I had to rip open the keyboard and test each solder until I found the faulty one and was able to mend and replace it.

I have fixed my keyboard (e-piano) by myself and that's with the help of Google and lots of How To articles on internet. It's easy to fix things these days because of technology. Aside from that, there are customer services that you can call for tech problems. I still call them for help.

I think it matters most your age. If you are older and are in the IT world, it may be easier. But a lot of older folks have just not grown up around electronics that most kids use today. That's why it's considerably harder for them to grasp certain concepts because they've been doing it a lot less often than we have.

I fixed my headphones when one of the plastics holding the ear broke, and cut the cables with it..
Had to glue back the plastic and solder all the cables.
I fixed it because I imported them from the UK and I didn't want to bother with sending it there for repair.

I've replaced various components in my computers such as memory, hard drives, sound cards, video cards, etc... I also piggy backed several hard drives together to have my backup drive built into my desktop system. More recently I took apart a damaged external drive, to remove the actual drive itself and put it into a new casing.

When I had a problem with my mac, I was able to fix it on my own. This took about 3 hours of constant fiddling though. If I have a product that begins to stop working, I will first see if other people are having the problem, if other people are having the same problem, then I will search for the solution. My logic is that there must be a solution if it is a common problem. If I am the only one having the problem I will contact the company and ask for assistance, only after that will I give up and send the product in to be fixed.

With computers, every time. But then I have over two decades of experience in IT, a lot of it as resident helpdesk guru, so I sorta have to be able to fix things! (And no, soughtseven, age does NOT matter: many of the "older" people you're talking about actually know more about fixing than the young folks because we had to do everything grass roots at the command line...)

With other stuff, most of the time: my dad was a total MacGyver who always found ways to twiddle, tweak and wangle solutions out of stuff (with two bits of wire, a hunk of cheese and three pints of spit). I didn't think I'd inherited the skill until a few years ago when it suddenly surfaced. It's totally cool, especially since I never believe it actually works - I get to look at things and think "Holy cow! It worked! Awesome!" and feel like a five-year-old who just did magic. :pride:

I would bet! I used to work guest services and some people made me wonder how they even made it out the house! In my experience, I used to be much better at fixing faulty objects. Unfortunately, with such advances in technology, it's been made slightly harder.

I recently fixed my old SteeringWheel, it's a cheap one. It was moving smoothly when rotating to the left but when to the right it often got stuck when returning to original position. I opened it and made some adjustments.

I always try to fix my own laptop whenever I break one. Honestly it's a lot easier to do it nowadays because there are a lot of videos around that will explain things to you step by step. I would never have been able to pull it off in the past without these instructional guides.

I always try to fix my own laptop whenever I break one. Honestly it's a lot easier to do it nowadays because there are a lot of videos around that will explain things to you step by step. I would never have been able to pull it off in the past without these instructional guides.

I agree to a certain point. I mean if it's something small like a key popping out or a faulty RAM, then, yes you can do it by yourself. But anything really more severe, I'd really go pay and fix it up.

I do this too. I rarely have problems with my laptop, but when something happens, I try to troubleshoot it myself. My laptops are ThinkPads. There are plenty of videos about ThinkPads and a huge and active forum with die-hard ThinkPad owners.

Well, I didn't fix it myself, but last year when my old CRT TV started acting up my family wanted to replace it with a flat screen. Flat screens use more electricity and I didn't like the idea of paying for a whole new TV anyway, so I called the local TV and small appliance repair place. I thought it would be this huge deal with two men lugging the TV to their workshop and all sorts of delivery and labor charges, but instead one guy showed up with a drill, opened the back panel of the TV, and took out what I can only assume was the TV's motherboard. Two days later they came back and replaced it, and it's been good as new ever since. Cost me $80.

I barely fix stuff on my own, unless it's something really simple. If it's something like a disc, I can fix it, but if it's something like an iPhone, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fix it alone.

Well if it's still in it's warranty period I definitely prefer to send it to a store (even though it takes longer than ever to come back) but if it's out of warranty or if it's a cheap thing I most definitely go for it and open the hell out of it :D

Well it seems that this forum has some pretty handy people!

Compared to the average you are like geniuses :D
Just fixed my Siberia V2:s today. ¨
My friends were astounded:rolleyes:

I am the most IT-proficient person that we have in my household - believe me, I'm no genius or anything, it's just that most people at home are scared of technology and gadgets. Since this is the case, I am the one who always tries to figure out what's wrong with the desktop or the laptop or the keyboard or the mouse. Most recently, it was a notebook issue of my dad's that needed resolving...as it turns out, it just needed to be cleaned and restored as it got affected by Malware! Most of the time, the biggest problems they thought they had turn out to be really minor ones, it's hilarious once you've tried to fix it to be honest!

If you are in war and you don't know how to reload your gun, I'm sorry but you're gonna have a bad time :)
So yeah, even if I have no idea what I'm doing, I'll definitely try to fix something. If I can't: *garbage*

Back