How often do you use Wikipedia?

I don't personally use Wikipedia anymore, it use to be a great source, however, I find that I can find anything I need through a Google search and with the information being on other sites. I honestly, before seeing this thread, forgot about Wikipedia for the longest of time, maybe they need a few system improvements with some new advertisements going out to remind people their there? I don't know, but still, it's been forever since I've used them which means I've been doing just fine with Google as an alternative.

Oh really? So where do they expect you to get your information? Maybe you can get round that by citing the references at the bottom of each Wikipedia article. Those articles are the source of the information in the article.

Sources like Government databases and official records. Even if their sources are cited at the bottom of their articles, it doesn't cover up the fact that anyone can just go in there and edit out things they don't like, affecting others.

It's still useful though, don't get me wrong, just not something I would trust with my whole heart.

I totally agree...I use it several times in a day actually! Wikipedia is a great source of basic information and the fact is, it almost always comes up as the top result whenever you search for something - this is especially true if Google is the search engine used. There have been some instances though when some of the information there is inaccurate - but then again, it's a free service...so who am I to complain?

I most certainly do not use it for school work. If I used it for school work, I would be penalized. I use it occasionally. I use it maybe one time per year. Yes, you are correct it does come up first in Google search results.

I think wikipedia has helped me a lot, now I do not use much, but when I was in school wore enough, if you know what I mean (eheheh), but I think it is a very good platform for information!

Many times, even can say is first place where checking something when need it, but must to take attention to what you read is not always the true.

That's the first site I go if I need information about something. I just wonder how large a portion of my knowledge is twisted in some way...

I use Wikipedia almost on a daily basis, not only are you assured that the information posted in Wikipedia is correct, but also that it is up to date. It is also a good source of getting a quick history on anything be it an individual, place or item.

That's the first site I go if I need information about something. I just wonder how large a portion of my knowledge is twisted in some way...
Very often even we don't need to take all things as true, check twice at least before use the information.

One thing I can say about Wikipedia, it may not be a reliable source, but when you are doing a quick look for something, it seems Wikipedia, most of the time is one of the first links at the top of the page. I know when I was in school working towards my degree, we certainly couldn't use Wikipedia as a reliable source because anyone can go on and add information; therefore, I didn't use it for class work.

But now, I must admit, I do use it sometimes for a quick check on something that isn't as of real importance.

One thing I can say about Wikipedia, it may not be a reliable source, but when you are doing a quick look for something, it seems Wikipedia, most of the time is one of the first links at the top of the page. I know when I was in school working towards my degree, we certainly couldn't use Wikipedia as a reliable source because anyone can go on and add information; therefore, I didn't use it for class work.

But now, I must admit, I do use it sometimes for a quick check on something that isn't as of real importance.

That's it what I was talking too, great source but with bigger attention of using the material.

You are right when you say that it is not a reliable source yet I do use that website a lot when I do search for a specific topic. I like to see another sources too to ensure that the information I took from there is true.

I use Wikipedia probably several times a week. My teachers like to assign research projects, and Wikipedia in my opinion, is a good reference. There are so many different articles, and there is usually articles the relate to the one you searched for.

Back