Favorite forums software?

Encodes

Hey guys,

So I am aware everyone has different thoughts when it comes to things in life, and this will be a thread where you can debate about which forums software you think is the best. Please give reasons on why it is the best as well.

Personally, I am a fan of MyBB the community is really good on it and they are always doing things to better the software. There is a huge market for plugins and themes and there is a good number of free themes as well.

Your thoughts?

I think MyBB is best. It is the most popular free discussion board software on the internet. This software easy to install and also manage.

The only forum software I had experience with is vBulletin. I think the admin panel is pretty simple to navigate around, and you can easily edit sections from there. You can see a simple breakdown of your users, posts, etc. I have never used myBB, phpBB, Xenforo, or any other forum software, but I would recommend vBulletin if you are new.

From my personal experience, I would never recommend any PHPBB today. Long back, when I had a forum, it was much better but today, all its codes are quite vulnerable and open to spam and hacks.

The Xenforo seems to be my personal favorite just because of the great features it offers - it is more Ajaxified and jQueried. That makes it much much faster when compared to phpBB which still uses ancient ways.

vBulletin was the best until IB started committing software suicide with version 5. IPB seems to take up too many resources. XenForo is shaping up to be the better paid forum solution especially with 1.2. MyBB is good for free software but lacks many features especially those that you would use to earn an income with. PhpBB is highly outdated and SMF, well I question its future... Wedge is a fork of SMF and might be something worth keeping an eye on. :)

I'm starting to like Vanilla Forums as a free option. It appears to be based off of the Twitter Bootstrap (I'm only guessing due to the fonts used in it). It seems to be rather lightweight but full featured. I've found it pretty intuitive to use without the typical boxy feel you get from a lot of the forums currently on the market. It also doesn't seem like it relies to heavily on Javascript either.

Xenforo is becoming good as it is adding more and more features but still I think it requires six month to a year to be a good product. Vbulletin is also good but with the latest 5 version it is loosing ground as people does not tend to be liking the new version.

Xenforo is becoming good as it is adding more and more features but still I think it requires six month to a year to be a good product. Vbulletin is also good but with the latest 5 version it is loosing ground as people does not tend to be liking the new version.

i am hearing a lot about xenforo these days i think vbulletin days are over.

I only have tested SMF before and nothing more but I could not recommend it since I ran a lot of trouble using it before.
I see that most forums use Xenforo or Vbulletin so I guess those are the best 2 scripts to use.
On the other hand, I also see a lot of forums lately using bbpress from the makers of wordpress, so I guess its also a good option.

phpBB is very good,
recently I've tested bbpress plugin for wordpress, quite good for small forums which for example we added to our blog

MyBB Provides VBulletin looks thats why many webmaster liked t but check Flarum, Its a new forum made by FluxBB and EsoTalk Founders and provides complet modern look.

Back