Desktops vs Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

fermlour

Here comes an open argument that absolutely no one will win, but there will be enough cross fire to start WW3.
What are the pros and cons of owning a desktop and a laptop? It’s easy to picture one and the other’s disadvantages but if someone needed a detailed review on both cases, what would you say?
You can start by the basics and say that if you need to take your computer to work every day, it’s obvious that it will be better to get a laptop! Anyone willing to continue the topic?

Desktops is better than laptops because its lifetime is longer than laptops and also repairing cost is much cheaper than laptops.

I prefer Desktop over Laptop,I can customize(upgrade) the hardware whenever i need .Also I do a lot of gaming .So a desktop suites me better than a laptop.

I work from home so I don't have to take my computer anywhere everyday, but I still prefer using a laptop because I can take it anywhere around the house and work wherever it suits me on any particular mood. If I'm feeling like I want to watch some TV and have some background noise, I just take my laptop to the living room and work there instead of my office. Especially now that laptops are a lot more powerful, I tend to choose it on every purchase.

I also prefer Laptops because they are handy and I can do work anywhere I want at my home or at office and also while watching TV.

I prefer my laptop. I am thinking of purchasing a desktop. I would like to have a backup computer just in case I break down. I travel a lot and I am a student. I almost need a laptop.

Desktops are more powerful than laptop and they can be easily customized/upgraded at an affordable cost. When you buy a laptop, it is a set that you get - most of the time, upgrading its software cannot be done because the hardware isn't enough to cope with the requirements of the software, and to replace it would cost just as much as it will cost you to get a new computer anyway. At the same time, I back up all my files from the laptop onto my desktop anyway.

I prefer desktops. You can customize it the way you want it, add parts whenever they die out on you, or you need additional space, and it's a lot faster than a laptop. The only perks of a laptop is portability. It's a lot easier to just carry around a laptop instead of a desktop. It also weighs a lot less most of the time.

I like laptop to desktop. It is easy to carry, works a long time without electricity. There are some disadvantages in laptop i. e; it is warming rapidly. After all I think laptop is the best for online user.

It really all depends on the person. I have both so, I use my desktop when at home, and bring my laptop with me if I leave home.

I'm a desktop guy, but I've always wanted a super-slim, quick laptop for my travels, but I've never had enough spare money. Overall I've had many desktops and they always out-perform and last much longer than laptops. I cringe when my friends buy laptops, especially for gaming, and I know they could have had a 3 times better system for the same price!

Some people love laptops though, and that's fine. I don't really need my PC on the go so for me it's not an issue. Anyway I think we'll all be running hardware via the cloud in the future so we'll all have laptops with amazing power!

For me portability is of utmost importance, so naturally I prefer laptops over desktops. However, if I had to choose the most comfortable option, I'd go with desktops.

Desktops is better than laptops because its lifetime is longer than laptops and also repairing cost is much cheaper than laptops.

Why would you want the same computer for more then 2-3 years? The only thing that should need to be repaired on your laptop is the battery, and that's only like $15-$20. Laptops are better, because you're not stuck using your PC in the same spot everyday. You can bring your laptop wherever you want. If you want to go outside for a smoke, but don't want to get off the internet, you can bring your laptop...etc.

Why would you want the same computer for more then 2-3 years? The only thing that should need to be repaired on your laptop is the battery, and that's only like $15-$20. Laptops are better, because you're not stuck using your PC in the same spot everyday. You can bring your laptop wherever you want. If you want to go outside for a smoke, but don't want to get off the internet, you can bring your laptop...etc.

Good point, I guess most tech people upgrade their computer ever few years. But! With a desktop you don't need to buy a whole new machine, you can upgrade the CPU or add in better graphics card etc. With a laptop you're getting rid of the whole thing.

Desktops = power & value
Laptops = portable

2 different things at the end of the day.

I agree With You But This Time Laptop is best for work and you put it any place any time i agree his life is no long but if you are working or using pc in only home then desktop is best. i have desktop and laptop both but i use only laptop my on my bed and my sofa set .......

I think it all depends on what a particular individual needs. I've both desktop and laptop. I used to prefer using the desktop to the laptop. Since it's stronger and all that. But, the problem with using the desktop are;
1). I couldn't move it from it's position(Although, I like this, 'cause it helps to focus more)
2). It uses too much electricity and aside that I've to connect it with a ups incase of power failure which is rampant around here.
3). The screen of my monitor has harmful effects on my eyes, whenever I spend long hours on it. My eyes loses focus.

But, the laptop on the other hand is less stronger compared to a desktop. I can move it about. I really don't need to be scare of power failure with the supplied battery. Even if the battery run out of juice, I can still continue my work later. And little or no bad effects on my eyes.

But, really they have different purpose. So, I would say if you want something you don't want moved, go for a desktop. And otherwise if it's the opposite.

However, all those talks about strongness have to do with money. With more money you can get a laptop that can perform very well. And I don't even know why you would want to keep repairing an old desktop when you can afford another one.

Last edited:
The choice of desktop or laptop depends upon how and where you will use it. If you work from home desktop is better otherwise laptop is better due to its portability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back