Are CD's dying out?

kai_uk

With new media like blu-ray holding huge amounts of data, and even DVD holding many times more than a CD, should this old media go out like the cassette tapes or is there still a use for them?

They've been dead for years now. I stopped using them like over 5 years ago. The last few years that I used them, they were just to burn movies I downloaded online, since it was faster to burn them to CD, than to convert them to a DVD format and burn one of those. Considering they only hold about 700mb, they're more of a waste these days, when you can get a little flash stick that holds like 64 GB on just one.

I can't remember the last time I burned a CD or DVD, or purchased a CS so I agree with ohiotom76 in that they have been dead for years. Everything can be purchased online in direct digital format so there is just no use for them anymore. If you want to archive your downloads, use a USB drive or put them in the cloud.

CDs are no longer used unless you just need to store a small amount of data that if burning to a DVD will be a waste of space. Personally I stopped using them a long time ago currently I just used USB sticks to store my data. It is easy to carry around and can hold more data than a CD. Even DVDs are following suite and will soon loose value also.

They'll still be used for a long time, but yes they are dying out. Since the rise of the MP3 player, CD sales have slowly been sinking. I think DVD has the same fate, especially with Netflix etc about. I'd like to think Blurays are doing well, decent HD footage isn't easy to come by.

Back