Windows 9?

MedicAlert

Well, as most of us know, Windows 8 OS has been released a couple of months back, and there are already new speculations on Microsoft's next big OS. Named Windows 9 for now, speculators say that they plan on overhauling (again) the Windows interface.

In this article: Windows 9: How Microsoft might overhaul the interface in its next OS | PCWorld

People speculate that they want to completely get rid of the Desktop. Fix people to their new style "Metro" and focus on Apps.

How does it sound to you guys?

They should overhaul it, because Windows 8 was a disaster. I'm still using Windows 7, and it's likely that I'll never upgrade to another OS.

Agreed. Windows 8 seemed to be rushed. Lots of software glitches and general feel of "uncompleted" spews from it.

The turn to Metro wasn't a smart considering that the majority of Windows Users are keyboard/mouser people and not hipsters with tablets. Also, they took away the Start button! :(

I have limited experience with Windows 8. I never buy a Microsoft OS right after it's released. I always hold off until all the bugs and glitches have been discovered. I have better things to do with my money then keep upgrading my OS. I like stability

I have limited experience with Windows 8. I never buy a Microsoft OS right after it's released. I always hold off until all the bugs and glitches have been discovered. I have better things to do with my money then keep upgrading my OS. I like stability

I have to agree to a certain point. I also don't buy right off the launch date or even pre-order anything. I wait for first hand user reviews on sites like CNET, Engadget, and etc.

Although, I don't wait +2 years until I pick one. I usually wait 5-6 months to upgrade my older comps. and bit the bullet and buy a new laptop with whatever OS.

I have to agree to a certain point. I also don't buy right off the launch date or even pre-order anything. I wait for first hand user reviews on sites like CNET, Engadget, and etc.

Although, I don't wait +2 years until I pick one. I usually wait 5-6 months to upgrade my older comps. and bit the bullet and buy a new laptop with whatever OS.

Yep, I'm a late adapter. I'm still using Windows XP. It's the most stable Windows OS I have ever used. I loathe to upgrade, but I will have to upgrade this year. ;)

I have played with the Galaxy Windows 8 tablet. I really did like it. I just want to wait until all the kinks are worked out before I get a tablet.

Windows 8 isn't that bad, people just like to talk a lot without testing.
And in my opinion, the possible Windows 9 will never lose it's desktop interface, it makes no sense. They are intelligent enough to recognize that putting a metro and apps interface on a desktop will never work.
That is just a rumour, a stupid one, people just love to speculate and bash about problems instead of looking at the overall product, which is positive.

Windows 8 isn't that bad, people just like to talk a lot without testing.
And in my opinion, the possible Windows 9 will never lose it's desktop interface, it makes no sense. They are intelligent enough to recognize that putting a metro and apps interface on a desktop will never work.
That is just a rumour, a stupid one, people just love to speculate and bash about problems instead of looking at the overall product, which is positive.

I agree. Windows 8 isn't bad, but it isn't good either. You know, every time something new is released, most people (including me) want some change, but too much change too fast is bad, imo.

In terms of Windows 8 (i have used and bought it) - They shouldn't have rushed Metro into us so fast, and should've spent a bit more time either blending Windows Aero and Metro together so they flow (somehow) together and better then just a basic reskin.

I really do wish that Win 9 brings back the traditional look of Windows 7 with a bit more optimization and stability, but that might be considered too small of a change. I dunno, a tight wire to walk, imo.

I agree. Windows 8 isn't bad, but it isn't good either. You know, every time something new is released, most people (including me) want some change, but too much change too fast is bad, imo.

In terms of Windows 8 (i have used and bought it) - They shouldn't have rushed Metro into us so fast, and should've spent a bit more time either blending Windows Aero and Metro together so they flow (somehow) together and better then just a basic reskin.

I really do wish that Win 9 brings back the traditional look of Windows 7 with a bit more optimization and stability, but that might be considered too small of a change. I dunno, a tight wire to walk, imo.

You have the old Windows 7 interface on windows 8..
If the start button is such a big problem, download Start8, install in 10 seconds and it's done.
This windows is focused for the hybrids, and it works well for either desktops, tablets and laptops. But works the best on laptop/tablet hybrids.

I'm still on XP on my laptop and 7 on the girlfriends. I still prefer XP over 7, familiarity I guess, but 7 is still nice and easy to use and I picked it up pretty quickly. The changes in Windows 8 really don't appeal to me so I've stayed away from it, I've not even tried it yet. If the hardware on our laptops would accept it I'd be using a linux OS anyway.

I'm still on XP on my laptop and 7 on the girlfriends. I still prefer XP over 7, familiarity I guess, but 7 is still nice and easy to use and I picked it up pretty quickly. The changes in Windows 8 really don't appeal to me so I've stayed away from it, I've not even tried it yet. If the hardware on our laptops would accept it I'd be using a linux OS anyway.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. It's very stable. It has only crashed two times since I started using it nearly a decade ago. Those crashes happened last year. I have no idea what caused them. I stared at the screen for a good five minutes because I couldn't believe my eyes.

Well I think that in 2014 Windows will stop supporting XP, which means that no new drivers/Customer service, etc. will come for XP.
You should consider your Windows 7 upgrade at least ^^

Glad I didn't tried Windows 8 lol. I currently using 7 still. Seem like history repeat itself again because windows always been messy with their Operating system, I remember the thing about Windows Vista which is horrible while most of their new system requires more hardware specification like the 4Gb of RAM.

I hope they will create an Os that will also cater old computers with just 1GB of RAM just like XP.

I can honestly say that if they continue with the "Metro" style on their operating systems, I will never upgrade again unless it's to Ubuntu or Apple. Windows 7 is perfect for daily use but Windows 8 ruined it with Microsoft's assumption that everyone runs a touch screen device now just because they offer it.

I can honestly say that if they continue with the "Metro" style on their operating systems, I will never upgrade again unless it's to Ubuntu or Apple. Windows 7 is perfect for daily use but Windows 8 ruined it with Microsoft's assumption that everyone runs a touch screen device now just because they offer it.

Every laptop in at least 5 years from now will have a touchscreen interface.

Windows 8's Metro user interface is absolutely horrible for desktop computers without any touchscreen capability. But luckily enough you can get rid of it by using third party programs as Pokki or Start8. If you have been able get rid of that horrible Metro UI than Windows 8 is a pretty good operating system.

Back