Windows 8.1

kai_uk

Are you all happy with the latest upgrade?

Windows 8 was a bit of a disaster, kind of like Vista. Did they do enough with 8.1 to please everyone or did it not go far enough to make it a good operating system?

Oh I think comparing Windows 8 to Vista is incredibly Harsh!

I personally loved Windows 8, OK there were a few annoying things like the start button being removed, and having to search for EVERYTHING, but apart from that I found it a breeze to use. I have explored it yet, but I have not noticed much difference with 8.1. :)

One problem i noticed is that it comes with internet explorer 11 which is not compatible with a lot of websites. Even IE10 has this issue so I don't know why they rushed out IE 11 for. Perhaps they should have just upgraded 10 with a service pack instead.

I don't think windows 8 a disaster. Windows 8 has its own advantages and disadvantages. Its disadvantages are just due to the touchscreen interface.

According to Microsoft, Windows 8.1 brings together everything you do – from new mobile apps for your business, to Office productivity work, to searching and browsing, to accessing all your data from anywhere. Your Windows experience works across all your devices – from the best business tablet, to a thin and light notebook, to your high-performance workstation or all-in-one, whether you are at home, in or around the office, or working on the road. And Windows takes care of the essentials – now letting you manage personal devices in your organization, utilize your investments in your enterprise infrastructure, and enhancing the security of your environment.

Windows 8 introduced major changes to the operating system's platform and user interface to improve its user experience on tablets, where Windows was now competing with mobile operating systems, including Android and iOS In particular, these changes included a touch-optimized Windows shell based on Microsoft's "Metro" design language, the Start screen (which displays programs and dynamically updated content on a grid of tiles), a new platform for developing apps with an emphasis on touch screen input, integration with online services (including the ability to sync apps and settings between devices), and Windows, an online store for downloading and purchasing new software. Windows 8 added support for USB 3.0,Advanced Format hard drives, near field communications, and cloud computing. Additional security features were introduced, such as built-in antivirus software, integration with Microsoft Smart Screen phishing filtering service and support for UEFI Secure Boot on supported devices with UEFI firmware, to prevent malware from infecting the boot process.

Back