Will Facebook Always Be Free Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevenlie

What you guys think of this that facebook will always operative like this (free for evegy one) or are they going to change any time sooner or later. If they changed their service from free to paid what to you think will be the result.

Their front page and signup says it's free "and always will be"... but then companies lie regularly, so I'm sure they'll find some way to make only the very basic system free and charge for everything else.

If they did make it a totally paid service, I think they'd get a very nasty surprise: there's little incentive to pay for it when there are so many alternatives. They'd basically give up their market dominance, IMHO.

Why would they charge users to use facebook? They'd lose both their members, and money to competitor sites. Facebook will always be free, and it says it right on the homepage.

The money Facebook makes from its advertisers and application developers more than compensates for the risk of losing its members for them charging to use its service. It will not say that it's a free service and always will be if it knows it cannot sustain it - there's a lot of competition out there and members can easily switch.

Yes, I think Facebook will always be free. I have noticed that Facebook is trying to sell me something at every opportunity. It's very annoying. I get prompted to buy something just by posting "Happy Birthday" on my friend's Timeline. The sponsored posts are annoying too.

Well. I'm not sure about that. As you may have heard, Facebook went public: Facebook Inc: NASDAQ:FB quotes & news - Google Finance

And to make a company grow, you need revenue, and to get more shareholders and get more of them, you need even MORE revenue. So Facebook's old ways of using empty spaces for ads could not be enough to satisfy holders. They might make a premium service of Facebook and give the user an ability to upgrade to the gold service. Something like XBOX Live, but more pointless.

Well, I am quite sure that I am not the only one to say this, but if Facebook actually starts to charge for use of its service - like even maintain a free site with less features than if you decided to take a "premium" account, I will be looking elsewhere. :mad: I know it may be extreme, but why use something when it supposedly costs virtually nothing. Even if they went public, doesn't mean they will be charging for the service.

Facebook will always be free, if they are hurting for money they'll just make bigger ads or even allow companies to contact our accounts.

They will probably be always free. That is one of the biggest draws for them, and for any social networking site, really. They need the users and the traffic and content is what actually gives their company worth. If they asked for money, they are surely going to lose their value so I doubt they will ever do that.

I would reckon there is a disturbing amount of people who would pay for Facebook, but I don't think those people alone are enough to keep it going if they went for a pay-only model. Besides, they make too much money with advertising to move to a pay model.

I think it will be free forever, but they will add amazing features that you will have to pay for. I mean, that will make the most sense, and people will buy stupid stuff like colored name, Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back