Where Do You Get Your Fonts?

DrRipley

I've been using DaFont.com for years now and it's only recently that I'm realizing how sub-par most of the fonts there really are. They seem to be crafted a little bit lower than standard and while they are only minor nuances, as a designer it is hard to ignore those minor details such as spacing and little pixels per letter that are sometimes not of equal measure. Where do you get more professional looking fonts that are still free?

There are a ton of font sites these days, almost too many. Just be sure to make note of the license agreement.

Hey thanks guys! I had no idea Google fonts even existed before your recommendations. I just checked it out and it looks really good. I'll look around further after this and hopefully it will be the last place I'd ever need to get fonts. Thanks again!

For me it's always been Dafont.com because of the huge amount of fonts and variety they have. Furthermore, the fonts on their website aren't always in bad quality. In fact, I haven't really been having problems with the detail on the fonts. Perhaps the fonts you are using are particular fonts in some category that perhaps I don't use. Still, I use dafont.com all the way. Good luck in your search, enjoy!

There are a ton of font sites these days, almost too many. Just be sure to make note of the license agreement.

I never really pay attention to the license agreement, because I never knew that I needed too. I grab my fonts from dafont.com, and I've been doing it for years.

I don't sell fonts, but I sell designs that use the fonts. Do I need to check the license agreement in the future for this?

I cosign google fonts, https://developers.google.com/fonts/ is the real deal for fonts on a website. It's also fun to create your own fonts, or modify other fonts. What programs are you using to design in? The adobe products make it pretty simple to design new fonts and modify existing fonts. Designing fonts is very time consuming but you can really achieve what you want when you make it yourself vs. searching the web on sites like dafont and hoping you come across the desired font.

Also regarding what you said about spacing - for designing text, it's often recommended to using Kerning methods instead of the default spacing. There's numerous guides around the web for kerning and achieving the optimal look of text (this is especially crucial in designing logos with text in them). Here's a sweet kerning training game :
Kern Type, the kerning game

Once you have visually mastered the spacing of letters it becomes second nature. Changing the spacing of each individual letter is tedious but the results are worth the time invested.

I've been trying to use both Google Web Fonts and Squirrel Fonts more often these days, simply because I don't have to worry about any licensing issues and can embed them on my pages as I see fit. I prefer to use the @font-face method of embedding them though, because Google Chrome on Windows has a font rendering issue with Google Web Fonts - they basically aren't smoothed or aliased at all and look really choppy and ugly. This problem has been going on for well over a year now and they have yet to fix it.

There are some high profile font designers who also have their fonts on Dafont as well - it's not all amateurs. But it is kind of tedious to go through all of them to find the good ones. Often times if you do some searches for stuff like "best free fonts of 2013" or something like that you will get a lot of graphic designers and other professionals who have curated a list of the good ones. Saves a lot of time, especially when they put together good font pairings to use.

Back