Where can I find free photos to use on my blog?

c_levette

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a nice selection of free professional photos that I can use for my blog posts. In the past, I've taken my own pictures. I would like to continue doing this, but only in moderation. I feel that professional photos will really help the look and feel of my blog. I'm interested in sites that offer 100% free pictures because right now I am not prepared to make a financial investment in photos. I've already heard of places like Flickr and iStockphoto. If you know of any other sites I would love to visit them. Thank you!

I usually take my own pictures, but I will also use Zemanta for pictures and related posts to add from time to time. It works with Wordpress and Blogger (possibly others but I don't know.) When you sign up for Zemanta, you can have it as a Google Chrome plugin and it will work in your blogging platform. It is free, you can submit your blogs there so people can share your blog posts at the bottom of their relevant content too. You can also submit your own pictures so that people can use yours too. It is pretty cool and only shows you relevant pictures (well mostly relevant) based on keywords it picks from your post as you type.

I am sure there are other cool sites too, but I really like using Zemanta.

You can find them on Google as well, just go to advanced settings after searching up an image, go to usage rights, and there should be something that says free to use, etc. You can also use stock photos on specific websites like the above.

You can use the likes of Flickr and Wikimedia o get some free pics, but I prefer Wikimedia over Flickr, because of the high quality pics latter has to offer.

One great website is photopin.com, I often use it :) You just need to make sure you are putting image sources on the post to give credit where credit is due! Most of these photo host websites like flickr and so on have creative commons searches which allow you to use photos that belong to other people.

I am working on a photo directory now where I will offer free photos as well. Its not nearly done yet so I won't link it :p

There are various places where you can find some amazing quality free photos to use for your website or blog. It depends on what kind of pic do you want to have? If you want some high quality pics, you should be able to find 'em on Wikimedia - one of the best sources for pics. But if you can do without very high quality pics,Flickr should be your best bet.

Just remember, never use pics derived from Google search results as they are not free. Most of 'em are copyrighted material using which may cause your AdSense account to be revoked. Heck, you might even be legally sued.

You can get sued.

I take photos of severe storms, tornadoes and other extreme weather events. I fill up CDs with these photos, pay a fee and off to the US Copyright Office they go. Most of my photos are legally copyrighted. If someone uses them, I usually send them a cease and desists but if they refuse, I can make sure they get a subpoena instead.

Don't risk a lawsuit over something petty like that!

Well, there is one by the name Stock.XCHNG and they have quite some good photos on different categories. I have used their pictures for many of my works and they can be reached via - stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site - and they need you to register (free account) before you start getting to use their stock photos.

Stock.XCHNG is always my first port of call. :) If they don't quite meet your needs you could search Google Images for royalty free images. Just go to the advance settings and there is an option to pick "free to use or share" under Usage Rights. :)

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a nice selection of free professional photos that I can use for my blog posts. In the past, I've taken my own pictures. I would like to continue Thank you!
Ya you can use images form any where just do not take any water mark logo and copywrite images where brand name is mention.
Just take clean images without any sitename, url, copywite logo.

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone become frustrated by those web sites that claim to offer free images, but when you sign up you find you have to buy credits to have the images. :mad:

Stock.XCHNG is always my first port of call. :) If they don't quite meet your needs you could search Google Images for royalty free images. Just go to the advance settings and there is an option to pick "free to use or share" under Usage Rights. :)

Thanks for mentioning the availability of royalty free images on Google Images - This is something which many people out there dont know and take up just any pic they find during their search.

And for the just above mine post here, yes, I have faced such issues. Specially I was on GettyImages which popped up on a search for free Stock Images on google with double quotes and then, I could not find any Royalty Free ones, though they had a section back then (maybe it was like the ones I was searching werent Royalty Free)

Last edited:
Yeah use Flikr, just make sure you tick "Creative Commons" on the search options and make sure you link back to the source of the image! Google knows when you're just ripping copyright images!

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone become frustrated by those web sites that claim to offer free images, but when you sign up you find you have to buy credits to have the images. :mad:

Yeah, there seems to be quite a bit of those out there. Anymore, I have been resorting to taking my own photos and using them on my blogs instead of looking for free ones :) That'll way I just skip the middle man altogether :p

Back