What role does social media play in an SEO strategy?

I am not a SEO guru. No way, not even by a long shot. However I don't see the connection between social media and SEO strategy. SEO, the last I checked, is what you do to your site. Social media doesn't do anything to your site. The only connection between the two is rather tenous. With proper use of social media, you can get more people to visit your site. With proper use of SEO, you can also get more people to visit your site. But I don't see how social media plays any kind of role in SEO.

Social Media increase popularity, traffic and brand authority of site.
With the use of Social media , webmaster improve traffic and popularity that are helpful to improve site ranking and PR.

SEO is used to get traffic or visitors for your sites and Social Media same role does play for your site so this is the part of SEO strategy.

Search engines like Google are increasingly relying on social media to judge the popularity of a site. Think of every like and share as a vote for your site which would help in its ranking. Of course no one is sure of how many shares and likes you need to achieve top ranking but it would be foolish to ignore this trend while planning your SEO strategy.

The widespread popularity of social media and an all time traffic of the social media sites, does make it an important SEO tool, to direct the traffic to your websites, through minimal marketing through careful use of visuals and creative use of words with a link that opens the gateway to your website.

Back