What is the best time of year to search job in Australia?

Tricky question, and the answer is “it depends”. My personal experience is that layoffs tend to happen in April/May and October/November, so you get a wave of unemployed folks hitting the market in June/July and December/January (and they are usually experienced people). Now combine that with the fact that a large part of Australia shuts down in the week before Christmas, and doesn’t get going again properly until the week after Australia Day (January 26th). Seriously, getting anything done between December 24th and January 27th can be a struggle: managers will be on leave, you can’t get anything signed and approved: it is a pain. Companies generally do not want to start new staff until early February. That’s not to say that is impossible to get hired in those months - I’ve done it myself: I accepted an offer just before Christmas one year, but I didn’t start until late January. A lot of IT shops go into change freeze in early December, and work drops off until January, so nobody wants to put on extra technical staff in that period (unless they have had the kind of horrible melt down that you don’t want to be anywhere near).

April and May, companies that have not quite hit their numbers may shed staff to make their position look better (stupid, never ends well, but these decisions are usually made by people who are no where near the coal face).

Short answer: late January to early May and late July to November.

Most people move to Australia either during late January to March end or July to September time frames. January marks the start of new year, people return from holidays and usually ready to take on new projects. As such it proves to be a good period when recruitment might be in full swing. On the other hand, July marks the start of new financial year which means new budget is allocated and new projects are finalised during this period. So it is another great time period when a lot of positions open up. For vacancies search I can recommend Jobsora job board https://au.jobsora.com/

Back