What is Tech support scam? How to stay secure from such scams?

123andrew

Recently my system was having some hardware issue and i callled a tech support number for help. But after that unwanted pop ups and annoying adds are generating in my system. So i just wanted to know whether i am scammed or their is some other problem. If so, how can I protect my system from such scams.

A technical support scam (often abbreviated tech support scam) refers to telephone fraud that claims to be a legitimate technical support service. It can either begin by a cold call, usually from a legitimate-sounding third-party like "Microsoft" or "Windows" or it could begin with an unsuspecting user searching for commercial technical support via a popular search engine such as Bing or Google.[1] Remote desktop software is used to connect to the victim's computer, and the scammer then uses a variety of confidence tricks that employ various Windows components and utilities (such as the Event Viewer), third-party utilities (such as rogue security software),[2] and reference sites like Wikipedia or summaries written by security companies[3] to make the victim believe that the computer has issues that need to be fixed, before proceeding for the victim to pay for "support". These scams usually target users, such as senior citizens, who are unfamiliar with the tools used in the process, especially when initiated by cold calls

Back