What is mainly Illustrator for?

danealegana

I am not a graphics editor and I cant quite seem to figure out this application and yet I see a lot of tutorials needing Illustrator before using Photoshop for some graphic work.
I have used photoshop and gimp for some time now just for basic editing, and yeah I have CS6 and Im not using its full capability.

So whats mainly the difference of Illustrator? Who were this software is more inclined to?

Illustrator is for logo's and other vector designs. Vectors are designs that can be blown up or zoomed in indefinitely so they never lose quality. Photoshop is for photo's...

Working in Vector based design is a very different process from working on Raster based images. Hence the two different products. Trying to combine all of the functionality of both into a single program would be a bit of a nightmare since the menus would be completely cluttered and functionality would be too far buried away in submenus and other obscure settings.

Images drawn in Illustrator are essentially resolution independent, whereas stuff done in Photoshop is largely limited by the resolution of the photos themselves. While both offer various special effects you can apply to shapes, Illustrator can do some things in more complex manners than Photoshop, since you are working with all non destructive editing of shapes. You can do some non destructive editing in Photoshop too but not to the extent of Illustrator. Plus it's not as efficient in Photoshop, since you are storing images as Smart Objects which will drive up the overall file size tremendously.

it offers a whole set of drawing tools, on-screen drawing as well as EPS-file formatting and expressive natural brushes so very benefitial for artistic work done by vector graphics.

The mainly Illustrator is used for the drawing purpose. It Is used to creating the design. There are many tools are used in the Create graphics design

Thanks for the replies guys! Now I completely understand.
I did not notice that Illustrator was mainly for vector.
Its something like Inkscape if you are going to use it.

Simple, illustrator is a vector based drawing and illustration program, it is mainly used to create vector-based artwork like logos, brochures etc., illustrator is essentially infinitely salable that means these vector based images can zoom as big as you want to and the quality remains same just as good as it was. It is an amazing tool to create your own artworks.

it's used to make vector-graphics. photoshop works with pixels and illustrator with bezier/vector graphic. and it's mainly used for logos and stuff that needs to be resized without losing any quality.
You can always take images from photoshop as well and place them into Illustrator. I personally use Illustrator to start designing web pages as well.

Back