What is local SEO and how it is an important for local business?

Local SEO is the process of optimizing your site so that you can gain higher local search rankings.

Nowadays, people don’t rely on the yellow pages or local directories to search any local services. They turn to Google instead. So, it is importance for any size of business to have visibility over local search engines. Local SEO is particularly important to "brick and mortar" stores and services, house-keeping, plumbers, electricians etc.

Hope, it helps.

Local SEO is the process of optimizing your website, online business listings, and social media profiles for local search results in search engines.

According to a study released by Chitika, more than 60 percent of traffic share (clicks on a search page) are attributed to the first three search results in Google. Take a look at a full breakdown of the top 10 Google organic listings and their average traffic share:

#1 – 32.5%
#2 – 17.6%
#3 – 11.4%
#4 – 8.1%
#5 – 6.1%
#6 – 4.4%
#7 – 3.5%
#8 – 3.1%
#9 – 2.6%
#10 – 2.4%

Local SEO is a highly effective form of local online marketing. It allows local businesses to promote their services to local customers at exactly the time they're looking for your type of business. Local SEO uses search engines like Google and business directories like Yelp, Superpages, Qype & TouchLocal.

Local SEO has grown significantly over the last few years, particularly given the rise of smartphone usage and better connectivity while out and about. Although it has a lot of similarities with organic SEO, it’s ultimately very different.
Local SEO is focused on providing results that are relevant to a searcher based on their current location. If I search for ‘best steak restaurant’ on my desktop right now, Google would provide me with results that are nearest to me.
64% of local customers use online search engines and directories as their main way to find local business; only 28% of people use old paper directories as their preferred source of local information.

Back