What exactly is AJAX?

MedicAlert

I've been looking through some articles referring on ways to use SEO articles and items similar to your max and most of them involved something called "AJAX."

Wikipedia says it's:

Ajax is a group of interrelated web development techniques used on the client-side to create asynchronous web applications. With Ajax, web applications can send data to, and retrieve data from, a server asynchronously (in the background) without interfering with the display and behavior of the existing page. Data can be retrieved using the XMLHttpRequest object. Despite the name, the use of XML is not required (JSON is often used instead), and the requests do not need to be asynchronous.

I get things like Google Maps use AJAX, but what exactly does it do to affect SEOs?

I am curious about this also. Anyone who could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

AJAX doesn't screw anything up. It does what it does, no more, no less. If you want to run scripts against the content AJAX pulls in, you can, after that content arrives. There are various strategies for doing so, jQuery can actually help with that. Most scripts on AJAX imported content will not run. You should only be pulling in markup anyway.

Ajax isn’t a technology. It’s really several technologies, each flourishing in its own right, coming together in powerful new ways. Ajax incorporates:

standards-based presentation using XHTML and CSS;
dynamic display and interaction using the Document Object Model;
data interchange and manipulation using XML and XSLT;
asynchronous data retrieval using XMLHttpRequest;
and JavaScript binding everything together.

AJAX is abbreviated for Asynchronous JavaScript And XML. AJAX is the idea that data can be loaded without refreshing the entire page. AJAX is commonly confused as being a type of programming language but it is actually an implementation of JavaScript. The term "AJAX" is just associated with special JavaScript methods (functions) that allow for things to be loaded without refreshing the entire page.

Last edited:
Back