What are the duties of a webmaster

hisslikesnake

I was wondering that what exactly do other members of this forum think of the duties of a webmaster must be for his company. In simple words what should a webmaster duties and responsibilities in his organization. Also please discuss with me what are the tools and programming languages that a webmaster must know to apply for a job as a webmaster in any organization.

Webmaster Duties

A webmaster has several duties to perform to create & maintain a website.
He should have basic knowledge of Graphic Design and creative enough to create new pages of a site & also to improve existing pages according as per client need.
To read more about Webmaster work profile & responsibilities follow the links below:

stevegreenstein.com/yuba/role.htm
webdesign.about.com/od/jobs/a/aa040698.htm

There are many duties that go along with being a webmaster. The primary one is to manage and maintain a website or a group of websites for the public.

Last edited:
It's kind of an outdated title in my opinion - I haven't really heard the term used regularly in like 10+ years. It's also rather vague. When it comes to building and maintaining a web site I think it tends to fall into two broader categories, those that manage the front end UI (user interface) and all the graphical work, perhaps the CSS as well and maybe some javascript. And those who take care of the back end development of the site - server side scripting such as PHP or ASP, manage the databases the site may be run off of, work with the servers, and all that stuff. There are people who can do both, which is great, but their time will be stretched rather thin if they got a lot on their plate.

I tend to think of "Web Designers" as the people handling the front end stuf, and "Web Developers" as the people handling the back end stuff.

Being able to develop a website is a technical skill, but a good webmaster will also have literary skills to write good content as well. The company may ask you to actually write something rather than copy & paste from someone else who has written a report for their department. Promoting the website may also be part of the job if the company is small and doesn't have a technical marketing department.

Back