Using popups good or bad for seo ranking?

I think you have to look at it in terms of effect on users rather than what google see's. Pop ups are a double edged sword, many users like myself get anooyed and exit a website on a popup , this will increase your bounce rate which will not be good for search engine optimisation. On the other side some people have popups because it produces clicks and google only registers a user on your page as not bounced if they actually click on something. Of course what you advertise on your popup also matter , some people use negative comment options on their popups like " NO i dont want to enhance my seo" instead of a simple " no thanks" . Like i say it can work , it can also burn up badly in your face .

1.Understand Which Interstitials Are No-goes. ...
2.Continue Using Non-intrusive Interstitials. ...
3.Switch to Timed Pop-ups. ...
4.Watch Out for “Gray Area” Interstitials. ...
5.Use Permitted (but Intrusive) Pop-ups Cautiously.

Well this is bassically what i said, also there are timed pop ups and triggered popups like for example when leaving the screen to click back or leaving a certain cta button , will trigger the pop up. If you go and look at studies on popups they arent very successful in conversion rates.

Theres a psychological aspect to it that people dont like . However they click the no button ( to get the heck off the site) and this reduces the bounce rate of a site , with google placing some weigh on bounce rate in serp ranking i think thats why some people use them. If your content isnt good enough to get a conversion a popup is just a last ditch effort which to me is overkill, i wont visit that site again. Thus reducing returing visitors, also this has an effect on your serp ranks... its a double edged sword like i said before.

Honestly the best way to find out would be to look at bigger companies see how they utilise them if they do, and then do a/b testing on your own site and see if there are any changes

Last edited:
That goes witout saying.. Anything should be mobile first even if its a pop up , the trends im seeing lately op is popups as users are about to leave the screen this is a last ditch effort to recall a customer or reduce a bounce rate with a new better offer. I dont see harm in this because if the user was leaving anyway you already had a lost conversion or bounce of your website. So why not.

Pop ups are not good for SEO as it will irritate the user and then user will leave your website immediately so there will be a bad impact on SEO of your website. So pop ups are not good for SEO.

If the user is already on his way of , and you pull him back in with a pop up , then you just coverted somebody that would have added to your bounce rate.

We see popups all over the web. But pop ups provide a bad user experience for website users. So that is the only reason Google is penalizing your SEO. If a Google bot searches your site & finds a popup on your site. If you don't want to penalized by Google then you don't show the popups right when someone comes to the site. Let them wait for them to be on the site for at least 20-30 seconds, and right before they're going to leave, at that participial time we have to show them a popup.

As of January 10th 2017, Google will be cracking down on "intrusive interstitials", which they have described as anything that obscures the main content, either prior to, during the user accessing it. They have given three examples of this, which make content less accessible to a user:

Showing a popup that covers the main content, either immediately after the user navigates to a page from the search results, or while they are looking through the page.
Displaying a standalone interstitial that the user has to dismiss before accessing the main content.
Using a layout where the above-the-fold portion of the page appears similar to a standalone interstitial, but the original content has been inlined underneath the fold.

Back