Thoughts on the new "Chrome-Book"?

purplesea

I recently saw a Google Chrome laptop, in person, for the first time. I have to say it was pretty neat. Have any of you seen/used one? If so, what are your thoughts?

I too think it looks pretty neat, and it also helps that I like Google and Samsung as brands. I trust them both to know their stuff when it comes to technology. In fact I am thinking of buying one very soon, since it is very cheap anyway and hopefully I can see for myself exactly how it would perform.

Of course, Google is a very well-known company as far as search engines go but it doesn't seem like Google has much to do with computers (laptops-netbooks) on the hardware aspect. The Chrome-Book does in fact look classy and seems like a useful resource, but there are far better and faster netbooks, laptops, etc. on the market for around the same price. It is only reasonable to put money into something worth the money rather than something that has the brand name that everyone is looking for.

I've not really studied them, as anything that only relies on net/cloud based* services isn't going to be very useful for most of the locations I visit here in China. (Wifi is still far from ubiquitous here, even in the major cities). I think that, eventually, most data will be stored 'on the cloud**' and there will be a wifi-like connection covering the entire planet, but that's some distance away. Until that's the case I think I'll stick with my PC/pad/phone.

*Also China doesn't like Google very much, so that would be a bit unreliable.
**Which you must remember is still stored on hard disks, just one in some massive data center somewhere.

I think that the Chromebook is somewhat another MacBook Pro. It's pretty cheap, and it's very light. I just don't understand why Google would make their own laptop. They already have made a profit from the Google Fibre in Kansas.

Back