Suggest for travelers planning to land at Delhi

OliverBierhoff

Dear friends, as I have been to New Delhi, a dozen times, I am starting this thread to share my experience in a tour plan, which any can follow and explore Delhi, along with a list of cities like Agra, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Jim Corbett etc. And you have guys have explore these cities and have some amazing images then please share.

Few days in Delhi

Whether you are visiting India from Europe, America continent, Africa, the flight ticket for Delhi will be the most cheaper one. Local Indian flight carriers are Air India, Jet Airways, Indigo Airlines and from these three, I would suggest Jet Airways. Here is a link to their website . For visa purpose, you need to contact Indian embassy in your respective country. Though getting an Indian tourist visa isn't a tough job.

So, now you have the ticket, visa and have landed in Delhi, so just make advance hotel booking reservations and a cab for sightseeing tours. For hotel reservation I would suggest Booking.com and Expedia.com, and for cab reservation in Delhi, you can check RajputanaCabs.in and SantramHolidays.in. You can also plan to reach hotel by hiring a cab from the airport. There are 2 options, 1st local Delhi transport (yellow/black cabs) which are cheap but a bit tough to bargain, and second option is private cab firms like Meru Cabs, Mega Cabs who have counters just outside Arrival terminal at Indra Gandhi International Airport Delhi. Plus, you can also opt for Delhi Metro which is quite cheap.

Now where to book hotels in Delhi?

Well if you are low on Budget, then you can check hotels in Paharganj, and Karol Bagh, the later is much better. The location of both are in central Delhi, and they are jam packed with hotels. Though I would suggest Karol Bagh, Connaught Place, Greater Kailash, & Nehru Palace. Plus, you can also get sweet offer at hotel in Kaushambi, & east Delhi. Like the country inn hotel near Kaushambi.

City sightseeing tour of Delhi

Delhi is blessed with many tourist sites, but some of the must-see ones are Old Delhi, Chandni Chowk area, where you will find Rajghat, Red Fort, Jama Masjid, Gurudwara Sisganj and the local markets of Old Delhi are a delight to explore. You can get some of the most colourful clothes here, but you must have good bargaining strength. Apart from these sites, the Rajpath (India gate & Rashtrapati bhavan lane) is a must visit sites in evening, along with tourist sites like Qutub Minar complex, Humayun Tomb complex & Lotus Temple. You can get more details on Delhi sightseeing at santramholidays.in/delhi-sightseeing-package

Agra tour from Delhi

The nearest tourist city which one must visit from New Delhi is Agra, the city of Taj Mahal. Agra is 250 km, and as it's connected with Delhi via an expressway, you can reach here in 3 hours. So, my suggestion will be to leave for Agra from Delhi by 6-8 am, reach Taj Mahal parking by 10-11 am, along with a stop at JollyGo, it's on Yamuna Expressway and you can even have a cup of coffee at Starbucks over here. Here is a link of this place - JollyGo

Upon arriving at Taj Mahal, you need a tour guide, which I will suggest to get from the tour firm from whom you have booked cab. I would suggest to have a look at Santram Holidays Delhi Agra tour packages and also their Same day Agra tour, which include cab with driver, tour guide and assistance with e-tickets of all tourist sites in Agra.

First you should visit Taj Mahal from 10 am till noon. 2 hours are enough to enjoy this symbol of love. Plus, I must again warn you that do hire a tour guide for Agra else you will be bombarded with local scamsters acting like tour guides and their goal is to just force you to do some shopping. So, after a 2-hour tour of Taj Mahal, you should visit Mehtab Bagh, which is just opposite Taj, and a perfect place to get landscape picture if you with Taj Mahal in the back. Have a look at this restaurants.

Later by 3-3:15 pm, you should visit Agra Fort, which is the 2nd most popular tourist sites in Agra. An hour here is the minimum time required, as later if you want to visit Fatehpur Sikri, which is an hour drive from Agra Fort, you need to leave Agra by 4:15 am as entry at Fatehpur Sikri is till 5:30 pm. And in my view, one can skip Agra Fort but must visit Fatehpur Sikri.

More on this later.

Chow,
Oliver Bierhoff

Last edited:
Back