Smartphones as credit cards

kai_uk

Near Field Communications (NFC) is coming to all smartphones and may already be on your phone, even though you don't use it. It works like a UK oyster card / contactless credit card where you can put it over a reader and activate a function. Your phone can therefore be used to pay for your travel, food, everything in one device.

Is this a good thing or a treat for criminals?

My new phone has a feature that allows me to use it as a credit card, but the couple of times I've tried to use it it has failed so I've gone back to the morre traditional methods.

It is amazing what we can do with our phones, I am using some apps to help me diet and one of them even checks my heart rate when I run!

I don't feel comfortable using my smartphone to pay for things. I don't see why it is so hard to just whip out your card. Having everything stored electronically is fairly unsafe in the world we live in.

I don't feel comfortable using my smartphone to pay for things.
Me too! I seldom use my debit card too for I really feel uncomfortable or paranoid that it might get hacked. I try to pay as much as possible in cash. With new technology comes different threats too.

I don't feel safe and comfortable using the credit card method on my phone. I don't know if it is a good idea for me to do so. Yes, it is convenient, but in the end I have to worry about whether or not it is secure. This kind of technology is definitely not the method for me.

Me too! I seldom use my debit card too for I really feel uncomfortable or paranoid that it might get hacked. I try to pay as much as possible in cash. With new technology comes different threats too.

I do this, but only because I've tried paying with cards a few times and they have been declined so I'd rather make a side trip to a cash machine than be embarrassed again in a supermarket full of strangers. :)

PayPal has something very similar to this, but you simply just need to walk into the store or shop, and they can auto bill your card. The business uses some sort of sensor unit plugged into an electrical outlet that can detect users within a certain range. It kind of looks like one of those electronic bug repellents. The example they showed on their site was if you were going to pick up a takeout order for food. Instead of having to waste time at the register, they can simply see that you have arrived and hand you your order, because the charge was pre authorized. I think it's possible to do something like this safely, especially if they are handing you your order in person and can see who is making the charges (not to mention you are likely on camera too) so it would be easy to prove a fraudulent charge.

Back