responsive design

A really great resource for learning more about responsive design, as well as design in general is Smashing Magazine:

Responsive Web Design Guidelines and Tutorials | Smashing Magazine

I would suggest reading through all of those articles to give you a better understanding of how it all works. Incidentally, the way I got my feet wet with responsive design was playing around with Dreamweaver CS6 and following along with some tutorials of how to use it to build responsive sites. It's actually got some really useful tools for this that make it a little more intuitive.

If you are new to HTML and CSS in general, you should learn those first before you start attempting responsive layouts.

Adobe also has another tool in the Creative Cloud called Adobe Edge Reflow. It is specifically for creating responsive layouts. It does one thing, and it does it rather well. I would say even better than the responsive layout functionality within Dreamweaver itself. You can create a free Creative Cloud, without having to sign up for a paid subscription. I believe all their Adobe Edge applications are currently free to anyone with a CC membership.

Adobe also has another tool in the Creative Cloud called Adobe Edge Reflow. It is specifically for creating responsive layouts. It does one thing, and it does it rather well. I would say even better than the responsive layout functionality within Dreamweaver itself. You can create a free Creative Cloud, without having to sign up for a paid subscription. I believe all their Adobe Edge applications are currently free to anyone with a CC membership.

They are, although you won't go far with Reflow on its own. It's meant as a complimentary product to your workflow, not as an instant "make website" button. Some HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge definitely helps. If you're looking for the latter though, Muse is worth checking out.

Responsive Web Design

Responsive websites are really a great innovation in web design and development industry, as it offers a device friendly look and feel of the website. No matter what platform you are on, no matter what kind of device are you on, it will resize as per the screen size and resolution automatically.

There is a great post that I came across on this, please review the same and I am sure you will gain much more insight of what, why and how of responsive web design.

Check the link below:
goo.gl/QOEq9N

I would highly recommend you to let me know your views on the article and also feel free to shoot any questions you may have.

Thanks!

Responsive Web design (RWD) is a Web design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience—easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices (from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors).

They are, although you won't go far with Reflow on its own. It's meant as a complimentary product to your workflow, not as an instant "make website" button. Some HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge definitely helps. If you're looking for the latter though, Muse is worth checking out.

You're right. Previously I had only played around with is a bit just to get the general idea of what it did. It wasn't until I tried to actually "export" a layout from it that I realized you can't. I was pretty shocked. From the looks of things, all it's really intended for is as some sort of responsive mockup tool - which seemed rather bizarre. I don't know who exactly it is aimed at. Is it for designers to created what they envision their designs looking like in a responsive manner, or is it for coders to explain to the designers what they are trying to build?

If you have experience of media queries in css and html, then you can easily learn creating responsive websites because it will help create sites as per display screens.

Well for one, there are templates that are responsive. But I think you can manually do that, but that would be a pain in the butt. I'm not a master web deisgner, but I tried that once, and what I did was I made CSS codes for each size of the screen the website is projected on. I will put a code which will call a certain CSS for a certain screen size. If the site detects that it is projected on a screen, say 800x600, then I assume its on a phone, then it will drag out the CSS specifically coded for that particular screen size. But what I'll do is just find a template that is responsive, save you all the headache.

Do you think one can easily answer it here with a little description, its really a big question with a lot of detailed answer, but for now i must recommend lynda tutorials.

hehehe. It seems that this forum is filled with One-Liner posts and most of the OPs arrive here just to throw their thoughts (or trash) around.

Anyways, Lynda.com has some good ones specially when it comes to Responsive Site Design. What I appreiciated here was that they had a section on a tutorial wherein they mentioned different designs and workflows for responsive and normal views of the same page. This is something which many of those blogs and others do not mention anywhere but this is a much needed thing

Back