RAW file type - any way to fix the issue?

Denis Hard

I was downloading a large file to my 3TB external hard-drive when my computer suddenly went off [a kid had been messing with the switches]. When I booted the computer and tried to access the attached drive, I got an message that the drive was not formatted. An attempt to format took so long that I was forced to unplug the drive but when I re-attached it, Windows did not recognize it and the file system was identified as RAW.

So that's my problem.

I had a lot of documents in the HDD. Is there a way I can salvage those documents and maybe fix the RAW issue?

It is possible but not easy. A free tool i recommend is testdisk. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are plenty of instructions out there. Once you get it back to NTFS / FAT32 you can use any file recovery program to get those documents back. Good luck!

TestDisk - CGSecurity

There are dozens of good file restoring programs, Recuva must be the most popular. You can try Recuva, and if you don't suceed with it, just take your hard-drive to repair and professional restoring, really. You will probably need a good file recognizing tool, here must be the best on the market https://www.filetypeadvisor.com/ .

Back