Novice Blogger in Search of Advice

sykutis

I am new to the blogosphere and would like to start a blog for my brand of hand made fishing lures. What is the best blogging site to use for this? What is the best way to market to and attract readers in the infancy of the blog? What pitfalls should I avoid? Thanks!

Hey there, you definitely want to use WordPress. It's the most powerful & simple blogging content management system you can find on the internet. You can easily obtain a theme fitting for your niche too, and install some nice plugins.

I'd go for wordpress just like what DarkRepulser said, I'm sure you could create a site as simple as wordpress because its easy to manage. As of promoting such niche, you might wanna go to some sites which you can somehow snag the interest of the people who might be interested to it. I beleive Jeremy Wade has a fan page, I'm sure you could contribute to their page and ask people thier to see your site.

I use to stay in deeperblue forum since most of the tourist in our area talks about it alot. I have some friends who are free divers, maybe they wil be interested to buying some lures.

WordPress is pretty popular among internet marketers. I use it myself, but it does have a learning curve. There are easier blogging platforms that are more novice friendly. Blogger comes to mind. Starting out with WordPress isn't impossible. It really depends on your level of experience.

Post about fishing and good news/advice to your subscribes. Dont give them sales pages, that's not what they want. If they like you and your posts they will look at your product naturally, so you dont need to push it.

I am new to the blogosphere and would like to start a blog for my brand of hand made fishing lures. What is the best blogging site to use for this?

Since it's for a business, do NOT use a free blogging site. That'll instantly make you look very amateur. Of course, you may want to play the whole "fisherman next door" aspect, in which case ignore that. :)

Get a domain, get some cheap shared hosting and put WordPress on it. There are plenty of deals available (I saw one earlier today from GoDaddy, for example, offering a $2 .com when you buy their basic hosting) so you won't have a massive outlay and having your own domain looks SO much better and is SO much more flexible.

WordPress is phenomenally easy, too. The hardest thing is installing it and that's automatic on most hosts: you just click a button and it's done. After that there's a short learning curve for the basics and you can always ask for tips on themes, plugins, etc.

What is the best way to market to and attract readers in the infancy of the blog? What pitfalls should I avoid? Thanks!

If I were you, I'd go for forum posting and social media. Comment, follow people, say hello, be interesting and knowledgeable (which you obviously are if you're making lures by hand!) and make sure you have your blog URL in your forum sig where possible. You will get more interested visitors by being helpful than through ANY advertising - word of mouth is the best marketing tool in the world.

Bear in mind that the infancy period will last months unless you're very lucky. It'll last so long you want to throw it all in and scream with frustration... but they WILL come, eventually. Just stick with it, keep being interesting and helpful.

Pitfalls: don't crowd your blog with ads, don't put "fun" or "interesting" things on it and - more than anything else - remember that it's not there for YOU, it's there for your customers. What YOU want or think is great doesn't matter: what THEY want is everything.

Hope it helps!

Edit: You're obviously quite erudite but always write your posts the day before you publish them and re-read them before posting. Or pay a writer to produce high-quality content. Never forget that the blog will be the official face of your company. The Editorial Calendar plugin is awesome on WordPress: you can prepare stuff well in advance and it auto-publishes when you want (though you might also need the Missed Schedule plugin that checks, just in case!).

Last edited:
No Doubt, Word Press is the best blogging platform.
You can also create a site when get high traffic on the blog with the same name of your blog in WordPress.

Wordpress is the best blogging site I have found.

You can go for lots of customization, which are also free of cost.
Moreover, you don't really have to do the SEO for your site. It is done automatically, if you are using wordpress.com as your domain.

Back