Multiple links to external content

androl

I have a load of content scattered all around the internet in the form of articles, reviews, tutorials, videos and music. What I would like to do is set up a main website or blog from where most of this content can be accessed but I'm really not sure about the best way to go about it. For example, would it be a wise idea to have a site which basically has different categories containing summaries of the content, along with links to the external content? Or would that run the risk of being flagged as duplicate content?

As mentioned, the content is all hosted on various external websites. Would having multiple outbound links summarized in such a way be harmful to either the site or the content or do you think this would be beneficial?

Let me be clear about it, so you got all these contents from external sources and you want all of them to be kept in one site, which, in turn, will link back to where they've been originally posted. Is that it?

So, you are worrying about having duplicate contents because of that? This is actually the first time I've heard of this. Usually, it's the other way around. You get all of your posts in one site and then you post them out of your site. If you are going to be posting the same whole content, of course it would be a duplicate. And basing on the date the articles/posts were posted, it would appear that you've copied them off the original author (which is also yourself). To avoid that, you can write the same author name for those posts. However, with regards to how Google will react to that, I am not sure. You can get it or not. I have a few duplicates online but my site's fine. Maybe because I am not doing a whole bunch of it.

On one hand, you can rewrite the contents. You can quote the first few sentences and then link the posts to the offsite sources.

Hmm... a little bit confusing though I got your point.
I don't think it will be duplicate unless you've copied the whole article on your site.
You can write a little something that is relevant to the article you want to linked in so that the relevancy of linking to one another is still there and it will give a good signal to search engines. Stay away from spam and you're good to go.

I have a load of content scattered all around the internet in the form of articles, reviews, tutorials, videos and music. What I would like to do is set up a main website or blog from where most of this content can be accessed but I'm really not sure about the best way to go about it. For example, would it be a wise idea to have a site which basically has different categories containing summaries of the content, along with links to the external content? Or would that run the risk of being flagged as duplicate content?

As mentioned, the content is all hosted on various external websites. Would having multiple outbound links summarized in such a way be harmful to either the site or the content or do you think this would be beneficial?

An interesting question, and quite rare type of issue as well. My clients often ask the other way around. But to answer your question its not actually that much complicated issue.

You can install any Content Management system that will enable sharing links (most preferably wordpress) and share the links of your external contents instead of the directly copy pasting the contents. Google will have no issues here, and will infact see your website as a social content site and treat it with greater respect, (after-all people who share (not copy) contents of others to provide information to public are good in online terms.

Alternatively you can simply create a free wordpress blog (sub-domain) and share the contents as links, which will make it 100% cost free & Risk Free.

You can certainly do this without any worry, but just make sure that you follow 2 important things.

1. The contents that are hosted externally, should not be copy pasted in to your website (instead write a short summary of the content (a description like content) and link it to the external content.

2. Make sure that all the link going out of your website (including to your external contents) are either set as No follow, are at least make sure the targeted sites are in good order and worthy condition.!

Back