Logo design: where can I find categorized examples?

Soliloquy

I'm trying to come up with a logo for a new site on my own, and could use some inspiration. The site will be about movies set in the Victorian times, so I'd like an old-fashioned looking logo. Are there any sites that offer examples of logos and advertising categorized by the style? It doesn't matter to me whether they're scans of genuine old advertising or modern work trying to emulate the Victorian look. Thanks!

Two suggestions, though neither is exactly what you're looking for.

1. Google "ephemera". That's the snobby antiques word for old paper stuff (because it's more ephemeral than solid furniture and so on) and includes a lot of advertising, pamphlets, theatre handouts and stuff. Lots of images. Prefix with "Victorian" and you're hopefully sorted.

Suffix with "adverts", maybe? Hang on... ooh, look what I found: http://ephemera.ning.com/group/advertisingads

2. Go on Elance and search for people who do logos. Look at their portfolios: they always have a big slideshow of previous work - you might chance across something awesome (that's how I found my book cover designer).

You can also go to 48hourlogo.com and browse through the completed contests. There are a ton of logos in there that can give you inspiration. You can even search the site for logos dealing with your niche.

I'm not sure of any other good logo sites, but sometimes the best inspiration is not in what you might think. Instead of only looking at banners for your logo, check out other art work and try to imagine shaping it into a logo. Sometimes, this helps me out a lot!

You could maybe try your luck searching for blogs that feature your specific topic. Whenever I got stuck while designing I would always land on blogs that compile lists of Top 20 or Top 10 designs or logos and I found those to be very helpful. Otherwise, you could turn to coffee table books that compile huge lists of examples in every category or you can just look for an online version of those types of books. Just refine your search and get familiar with the terms, you will be using them a lot if you plan on making designing your career. Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks all, I'll try your suggestions. (I had no idea there was an entire ephemera network. If I do end up hiring a designer, maybe I can find one there.)

Back