Linux vs Windows Server-Which Is More Secure?

hisslikesnake

Lately I have been thinking of hosting a website from home and am undecided that whether I should use IIS or Linux for hosting. The problem is that I am familiar with windows and IIS will be easy for me but I have heard that it is not good when security is concerned.

On the other hand Linux would be steep learning curve but is usually perceived as more secure. I am stuck and hence asking other members of this forum what they think of Linux vs Windows for hosting and security and in general.

Hmm, either will be good as it will be a good thing to learn. I haven't set one up myself, but our VPS uses linux and I really like it. I don't play much though, just a bit of SSH and settings. You could always try both?

Historically linux was always more secure and has a reputation for being both more secure and stable than windows. However, recent versions of windows iis is comparable to linux so i guess it is up to you. The majority of web hosters though will use some form of linux (eg debian) so i guess that tells you something.

Back