Is it important to shut down the laptop every time?

sweetcorn

What effect does shutting down the laptop have on the lifetime of the laptop? And why do most people make sure that they do?

Shutting down has no negative effect on the laptop. However, I would say it's likely for a laptop that is been shut down every time to last longer than the one which is always been hibernated.

Shutting down your laptop when not use is a good way to conserve battery power. However, using it often while charging will make the battery life span fluctuate and wont be accurate until it gets drain easily.

I prefer to shutdown the laptop because when you use it next time everything is fresh. After hibernating you may find it sluggish because some of the RAM (memory) was used to hibernate and if you're short on RAM it makes a lot of difference. If you own the latest laptop with an i7 processor and 8GB RAM, then it won't make much difference.

It depends on how often will you use the laptop. I would shut the laptop down if I am done for the day because I don't usually leave it on unless I have something to download. Plus, I would shut down the laptop before I go to bed because that way it won't hurt the battery life and the CPU. However, I would keep the laptop turned on if I think I will use it later, which is no later than 2 hours.

The lifetime of a laptop will mainly depend on the overall handling. Proper carrying from one place to another, regular cleaning, no overcharging of the battery and so much more. These basic handling of your laptop is what will determine how long your laptop will last before you can start repairing.

I'm using my laptop now without a battery as a result of not turning it off when i'm done or using the gadget long hours in a day. My friend has a similar experience and her techician has the same diagnosis why the battery of her laptop was damaged when she used it for 24 hours without turning it off.

Back