How To Reduce Size Of My Images

kjo-compute

My website have a logo which seems very good but the problem with it is that its size is too large and it size is like 80 kb which seems very large to me when i see the properties of logs of other websites. Please tell me if you know any tools or any other method to reduce the size of this image with out making its quality poor.

I am prepare to suffer very minor loss in quality but until the logo looks good i am ok and do not want that the image become pix elated or any other thing like that after change in quality.

You cannot make the image file size smaller without some loss of pixels - the picture that you have now is lossless, but when you reduce the file size it will become lossy. Lossless photos are photos that are high resolution and to which the computer does no guessing as to what colors are where. Lossy photos are photos made to be a smaller file size, and to be that smaller file size they need to remove some information about the picture - information that the computer feels is unimportant, such as a few colors. That is what causes pixelation, and in order to get minimal pixelation you will need to change the file size minimally. You can do that in Photoshop by clicking on the "file size" tab in the menu.

Some file compression formats work better than others in different situations. GIF files shrink down the best if the image has large sections of solid colors. GIF scans an image from left to right line by line looking for sections of pixels it can consolidate. It's not good for images with a lot of gradients or images that require more sophisticated transparency effects since it doesn't support alpha transparency. JPEG is generally ideal for photographic quality images with a lot of detail and gradations of color. For images with a lot of solid colors, JPEG can produce visible compression artifacts and GIF would be a better choice. JPEG doesn't support transparency at all. PNG is kind of like JPEG but with alpha transparency support. PNG files however can sometimes be larger in file size than the other two options, but they can be compressed down as well. I've found Photoshop does the best job at compressing images, but you could probably find some freeware compression apps on Snapfiles or CNet.

You can reduce size of images by saving them in different format then they are currently. Lets say if an image is a .bmp extension it would have larger size and if you save the same image with a .gif extension its size will be reduced.

If your logo is transparent, use a png. If it's not, use jpg. With Adobe Photoshop, there's an option called "Save as & optimize for website/mobile" on the "File" tab. You can designate the maximum file size of your picture and Photoshop will automatically adjust your picture to reach that file size. You could also try using Smush.it.

Whenever you save a picture on Photoshop, it will ask you first on how to best export the image for you. There will be a box that will appear with a bar on top of it that asks you how much quality you want to save your photo in. It indicates all the information you will need as you drag the indicator higher or lower, showing you file size, picture quality (high, low or medium). It is the simplest way to manipulate the image quality. Good luck!

Play around with formats. JPG and GIF are best for busy images with lots of colors and complexity. PNG is better for line drawings, cartoons, and images with generally fewer colors.
You can also mess with compression levels for each format if you want to get the size down further.

You can definetely use a programm called PhotoScape, which can help you in redimensioning your images, reducing it's quality, pixels and everything you need. You can also combine them into a single pic without that much effort.

There are many free websites like Image Optimizer, Web Resizer, Image Resizer, Shrink Pictures to help you create smaller images. These products can also help you convert images between different formats.

If you still want to preserve the high quality, but reduce the redraw time, break up the image into parts and join them through use of CSS on the site. It will help redraw the image quickly while keeping the quality high.

I would recommend using a free program called "irfanview" it's a great graphics utility program. Regardless of which program you use, you want to be sure to RESAMPLE the image to a smaller size, not merely resize it. Resampling it to a smaller size will ensure the least loss of quality. You probably won't notice any loss of quality if you resample it down. If your program doesn't have a resampling option, find one that does.

Infranview is very good for batch resizing and conversion. I would advise, you save your large quality original of your logo, then resize, and save as a HIGH QUALITY LOW COMPRESSION jpeg or png. These formats allow for less bleeding for fuzzing due to compression linked to smaller file sizes. As you try to decrease the file size of an image, you will have to up the compression ratio. Uping this ratio will lead to loss of quality. If you want a lower file size (for quicker loading) stick with JPEG compression, and then work with the settings (in photoshop you have the option when you save the image) to work out the right balance for the compression ratio that you are happy with. In paint, you do not have the same options to modify the compression ratio - but any processional photo software would allow you to. Stay away from PNGs and BMPs, these files offer very good image quality, but do not offer good compression ratios so these will NOT help you get your file size down.

There is one trick for that ;) - if You got photoshop, open the logo in it and then click file - save to internet (or something like that), You wont lose so much quality :) i hope it will helps

Back