How To Open a Dell Laptop

jeffking

Unfortunately a small piece of paper has entered from some where in my Dell laptop and now its seems to touch with the fans and making a loud noise. I think its the exhaust fan and is not visible but i am sure that the noise is coming due to this reason. I was thinking op opening my Dell laptop which is the brand of my laptop and i even gave it a try but despite of my losing down the screws the case of my laptop did not come up.

Please guide me step by step on how to open my dell laptop because if i am unable to do this my self i have to take it to a work shop which obviously would charge me much for this minor thing. What are the things i should keep in mind because i do not want to break any parts while opening this dell laptop. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hey there jeffking,

To try to help you out with this situation, it'd be more helpful if you gave us the model of the Dell laptop you have. Each laptop series has a different sort of case to itself, but most have something in common. Pictures and the model can help us (or me) out.

Also, while you're at it. If you can find your laptop manual that (hopefully) came along with your package, it could explain how to open up your laptop.

Most Dell laptops have 7-8 screws in the bottom, you need to remove the battery first though, and make sure you touch a tap to get rid of the static from your body before starting.

If you type in your model number into Youtube you will find how to do it. I open mine up for a hoover every month, otherwise it can get clogged up and overheat which can cause your system to slow down, and worse, crash.

If you search for the laptopts documentation online, you will find many articles and even videos on youtube about that.
Every laptop is constructed differently, yours could be open by just unscrewing the screws at the bottom, or you could have to unscrew almost all screws from the shell, opening the whole laptop.

Most Dell tablets have 7-8 sinks the base, you have to expel the battery first however, and ensure you touch a tap to dispose of the static from your body before beginning.

On the off chance that you write in your model number into Youtube you will discover how to do it. I open mine up for a hoover each month, else it can get obstructed and overheat which can bring about your framework to back off, and more regrettable, accident.

STEP 1

Turn off your computer and disconnect all power sources. Unplug the power cord from the side of the laptop and remove the internal battery pack. To remove the internal battery, flip the laptop over and locate the battery pack release button. Hold the button down as you pull the battery pack from its housing.

STEP 2

Locate and remove the laptop's hard drive. The hard drive is generally located on the left side of most newer Dell laptops. To remove the hard drive, simply slide it out from the side of the computer. For older model Dell laptops, you may need to first unscrew a small plastic cover that hides the system's hard drive before it can be pulled free.

STEP 3

Remove all of the screws from the bottom of the laptop's case. Slide the laptop around so that you are looking at the back of the system where the screen's hinges are located. At the base of each hinge is one additional screw that needs to be removed. With a small flat head screwdriver, slide the tip of the screwdriver into the opening on each hinge and gently lift up until you hear a soft click that indicates each of the hinges have been released.

STEP 4

Open the screen as you normally would when turning on your computer. Locate the small notch above the top right corner of your keyboard. Insert the tip of the flat-head screwdriver into this opening and softly lift up to remove the panel above the keyboard. From there, lift up slowly on the laptop screen to disconnect it from the body of the computer. Note the two wires that lead from the laptop screen into the computer's body; be sure not to lift up so hard that you disconnect these wires. Lay the screen aside flat, allowing enough slack that the wires can rest without any strain.

STEP 5

Flip the keyboard on its face to expose the metal plate that resides underneath. Using the Phillips screwdriver, unscrew each of the screws that hold the metal plate in place. Once the screws are removed, lift the plate free and set it aside. Follow the keyboard's connection down to where it adheres to the motherboard. Lift up on the small plastic tab that holds down the connection and then pull the keyboard free. You will now be able to separate the two halves of the laptop's plastic case to see the computer's internal components.

Back