How safe is PHP?

chinmay.sahoo

PHP is like the electricity or kitchen knives in your home: handled properly, it’s very safe;handled irresponsibly, it can do a lot of damage. One of the inspirations for this book was the spate of email header injection attacks that erupted in late 2005. This type of attack exploits a vulnerability in a popular technique and enables the attacker to turn an online form into a spam relay. Few people were immune. I certainly wasn’t, but once I was alerted to the problem, I plugged the hole and stopped the attacks in their tracks. However, day after day, people were sending frantic pleas for help to online forums. Even when they were told how to deal with the problem, their response became even more frantic. Many admitted they didn’t know the first thing about any of the code they were using in their websites. For someone building websites as a hobby, this might be understandable, but many of these people were “professionals” who had built sites on behalf of clients. The clients were naturally unhappy when their mailboxes started filling with spam. They were no doubt even unhappier when their domains were suspended by hosting companies fed up with insecure scripts on their servers.

PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. Originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994, the PHP reference implementation is now produced by The PHP Group.

Back