How do you transfer a Blogger blog to Wordpress?

dconklin

I am only playing with this idea because I do also like Blogger. Now that I had a taste of a self hosted Wordpress blog, I see how great it is to be there! I have a couple blogs on Blogger with my own domain name - not .blogspot domain - but only one would be going over to Wordpress if I decided to switch. The domain name is registered through GoDaddy and not through Blogger so it is a little easier I hope (my others were purchased through Blogger and I don't know if I can transfer them easily.)

How easy is it to transfer your blog from Blogger to a self hosted Wordpress blog? Would I lose any pictures or data?

I am afraid that this is not so simple :( You need to copy Your database and remake it for wordpress..... and You will lose all Your photos and so on, dont do so, best think to do is to write on Your blogger that You move Your blog to wordpress - give a link and continue bloging on wordpress :)

Generally speaking, you would export all of your posts into a file from Blogger then import them into a Wordpress installation via the import feature. The tricky thing is if you have images embedded in your posts. Those pictures may have been hosted locally, or you may have been hotlinking them from another source. I think if you do just a straightforward export/import, all the pictures featured in your blog posts on your Wordpress site will be hotlinked from your old Blogger blog. You will need to clean these up and store them locally. There is some more information on how to migrate from Blogger to Wordpress here:

Converting Blogspot / Blogger to hosted WordPress - 9seeds.com

Try using 'Blogger importer' Wordpress plugin which does the trick easily. Don't limit yourself from changing to WordPress due to this, as Wordpress definitely is a better blogging platform than Blogger.

Yeah, I thought this procedure was made easier by the Blogger importer tool in WordPress? I'm not sure why people are saying it is hard, the only thing you will have problems with is when it comes to the images, as others have said, I'd suggest saving as many as you can and then uploading them once you move everything over., not exactly ideal, but it is better than nothing.

It is quite simple.

You need to export the Blogger posts to an XML file and then import this file on the wordpress dashboard. This will need you to install a plugin by the name Importer but that is the easiest thing on wordpress - if you do not have it already installed, you will be prompted and a click to install in a few seconds.

Back