Hostgator Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

cngGh

I am writing this review after using Hostgator after using their VPS:congratulatory: for around a year. They are generally good and so is their support but they have their problems with them due to the big size of Hostgator. Some times the person you speak to is not fully aware of the services their company provides. Overall my one year review of hostgator is positive and it was only one time when VPS observed some down time.

I am writing this review after using Hostgator after using their VPS:congratulatory: for around a year. They are generally good and so is their support but they have their problems with them due to the big size of Hostgator. Some times the person you speak to is not fully aware of the services their company provides. Overall my one year review of hostgator is positive and it was only one time when VPS observed some down time.
I'm glad to hear that their better with their VPS. I can honestly say that their shared hosting has limitations upon it that they don't state anywhere. For example, the starter shared hosting taps out at 25 connections at the same time, so if you've got 25 people on your home page at once, your hosting is cut off until 1-5 of those people give up and leave the site.

I'm glad to hear that their better with their VPS. I can honestly say that their shared hosting has limitations upon it that they don't state anywhere. For example, the starter shared hosting taps out at 25 connections at the same time, so if you've got 25 people on your home page at once, your hosting is cut off until 1-5 of those people give up and leave the site.

I have been using Hostgator for years and never had any problems. I never knew about the 25 people on the basic package. That doesn't sound very realistic. I don't have the basic package though. I use the business plan because I don't want any problems with my blog.

I have been using Hostgator for years and never had any problems. I never knew about the 25 people on the basic package. That doesn't sound very realistic. I don't have the basic package though. I use the business plan because I don't want any problems with my blog.

It's smart that you're using the business plan, you pay a bit more so you shouldn't have any issues like that. The 25 people isn't actually that un-realistic, I had a gallery on Zyma Host about 6 months ago that had my hosting completely suspended from the fact that I had a few hundred people a day visit the site, and the funny part is that I never even went over half way on my bandwidth meter.

I have been using Hostgator for about 8 years now and I have not had any major issues with them. One thing I can point out is that they have been constantly upgrading their support department and for me, it shows that they have your business at the forefront of their operations.

I have their middle hosting plan but I am considering upgrading to business since it is on sale and only about $2 more a month now then what I am paying. Is this limited too? I am supposed to be able to host unlimited domains, disc space and bandwidth. I have been quite happy with them so far, but I don't want any problems once my traffic increases either.

I would give them a +1, in fact, before reaching this thread, I was creating a new thread about how happy I am with their shared hosting. The thread in question can be seen here

You know what? even if they are not the best out there, they are still one of the best hosting companies. Prior to HG, I was hosting my site with XXX (Sorry, don't want to name them) and there were loads of database errors. When contacted support, they told me that my site has reached max no# of allowed database connections. And can you believe this happened with as low as 50 people browsing the site at the same time? Well, never had a database error with HG yet, and I hope there never will be.

Their prices are good and their support is usually quick. The only complaint I have about them, really, is that with shared hosting you have to be careful you don't take up too much of the server's resources. Some days that seems very easy to do!

Their prices are good and their support is usually quick. The only complaint I have about them, really, is that with shared hosting you have to be careful you don't take up too much of the server's resources. Some days that seems very easy to do!
I haven't seen it yet, but does your content mainly contribute to that or just your website traffic? I mean if you have a bunch of Youtube videos are you more likely to see a problem or are you more likely to see a problem having a lot of visitors? I don't really know much about the shared hosting and didn't even realize it could be a problem when I first signed up for the hosting account. I have mainly used Blogger in the past so that was not an issue. Just want to wait until my self hosted blog is making a little money before I upgrade to the best package (would rather it pay for itself) but I also do not want advertisers to start advertising and then my site exceed the bandwidth.

Most of my sites are script driven; forum, directory, blog scripts, etc. Sometimes a script will crash or suddenly have an unexplained spike in usage. HostGator might have to temporarily disable the script until they (or usually, you) figure out what's going wrong with it. It usually helps to keep whatever software you're running up-to-date, because sometimes the reason is exploits.

Most of my sites are script driven; forum, directory, blog scripts, etc. Sometimes a script will crash or suddenly have an unexplained spike in usage. HostGator might have to temporarily disable the script until they (or usually, you) figure out what's going wrong with it. It usually helps to keep whatever software you're running up-to-date, because sometimes the reason is exploits.
At the moment my Wordpress blog is quite simple and it doesn't even show as using really any of my allotted usage - but it is fairly new and not a ton of traffic yet. I was thinking about adding either a forum or social plugin to it tho so I hope that it doesn't affect my site!

I have been using Hostgator for my blog without any hitch for last 2 year since I switched to WordPress. I have also used Bluehost, but I kinda like Hostgator.

I've used HostGator for years and have few problems. The support is quite fast when you need it and the price is fantastic. I have a number of sites on the server and CPanel interaction is very good and easy to manage. I've never had second thoughts about switching to another service. Don't try to fix what isn't broke.

Well, today was the first day that I read about the 25 person sharing issue, but I'm glad I did, so now I know, if I go with HostGator, start with the business plan from the beginning and save some trouble. I can do that. Thanks, Black Cobra

HostGator is still a quality hosting provider. I was worried when they were bought out by EIG last year but I trust that things will get smoothed out. A lot of the other brands EIG has purchased have really gone down hill. I think they have learned their lesson and will not mess up HostGator.

Thanks for the review. I'm trying to save up for hostgator and was aiming for the basic package but with the warning about the 25 person sharing, I'm going to aim higher. I am targeting hostgator because I want to work with WordPress and I've heard that it's easy to use there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back