Gif vs PNG Quality

lalitto

We are thinking of outsourcing a new logo for a new start up company and the question is that should we ask for a gif logo from graphic designer or should it be a PNG logo. What can you guys tell about Gif vs PNG in terms of quality and sharpness of their images.

Also tell something about the size in bytes. Which image format out of .gif and .png is bigger in size as we do not want our logo to be too big in size.

PNG quality is more better but the size is some times more than gif. With PNG you can also have a transparent background which is a must if you are designing a logo.

PNG quality is better for standard images and if you're using transparency. However, if the image you are trying to save is animated, you will get better quality through using .gif. For saving higher resolution pictures, you should also use .png because the quality and sharpness of the photo will be kept better (as long as it's not an animated image).

So which do suggest then for web developers and logo makers and what is the suggestion for animations and general photography like wedding and other etc. Can you elaborate what format should we use for these cases

.Gif images are great for very low resolution images on your website; they support transparency and animation. .Gif pictures are usually saved in that extension for simple logos, icons, or symbols. Using .gif is not good for any other type of photo, such as wedding pictures, nature pictures, etc. because .gif images are limited to 256 colors, and less. That's because the less colors there are, the lower the file size is, which is why .gif is usually used for low resolution images.

PNG is an overall better quality under the best conditions, but GIFs were made for quick motion pictures and for saving space. About the sites, modern websites can handle PNG very well, so I'd use that in my website. :rolleyes:

GIF is the older technology and thus the most widely used across the internet by everyone for making a logo. I think you'll find that a lot of web designers and developers have switched to PNG in their workflow because of the ability to add transparency. It's a slightly more modern standard so it's going to have improvements over the older GIF. It will be slightly larger in file size but I think that's so slight in this broadband age as to be negligible.

Ideally, you should request logos in vector format. Vector images can be re-sized without any loss in image quality, unlike raster based images like JPG, PNG and GIF. If you do get it in a raster based format, I would request a high resolution copy of it. You can always shrink a large image down without any visible loss in quality, but when you try to enlarge a raster based image, it will become blurrier. GIF is not a good format for logos at all, since it has a much lower color depth than JPG or PNG. For web graphics, PNG is probably the best format since it supports transparency better than GIFs do (PNG can handle alpha transparency, whereas GIF cannot).

Get multiple versions!

They should be able to give you a logo in multiple formats as you may use it in a variety of situations. I would as for it in PNG, GIF, JPEG and also ask for the Photoshop file they used to make it. The logo belongs to you once you pay for it so you should have total control over it for your companies use.

Always go for PNG unless you're creating an animation. Which in that case you should use GIF. PNG allows more colors than GIF, which only allows up to 256 colors. I heard that PNG also is a smaller size than GIF? Anyway, if you're for a high resolution logo use PNG. And, for an animated image, go for GIF.

If you're paying someone to create a logo for you, then do your best to get it in a format that is resolution-independent. The vector-based format is best for this. This is important because you can then resize and print the graphic at any size with no loss in quality. Blow it up to be on a banner or billboard with no problems. This will also make it much easier (cheaper) to have your logo made into 3d for animation effects, etc.

GIF or PNG: PNG has a greater color-depth and is more widely accepted, plus the alpha channel (transparency) can be vital. Your vector-based logo can be easily saved as a PNG file from within a graphics program. In fact, if you need it in a GIF format you can get that from the vector file as well (simply save it as a GIF file).

Gif images are dotty due to their compression, they are non lossy compression, which means they maintain the pixels solidly, and do not cause blurring when compressed, unlike JPEGS.

You should get the logo in a PNG, and then if you want to reduce the file size, or upload it online, re-save it as a JPEG the reduction in quality will be not noticeable to most people, but the file size reduction will be great.

A picture in PNG format will be more high quality than one with a GIF format. In addition to the quality, more can be done with PNGs that can't be done with GIFs, however the PNG file will be larger than the GIF, though it shouldn't be too large unless you are planning on making a picture with an excessively high resolution.

I only utilize PNG for the transparency property. For logos you should try to get it in vector, like an .ai file. All the jobs we outsource at my work require vector art or they won't even accept it. This is especially important for logos since you might blow it up really big for a banner or something some day or need it shrunk to fit on a business card and you don't want to have pixelation or any type of quality loss when resizing it. The only way to prevent issues like that is vector art.

I'd definitely ask for PNG files. And also I would add that you should ask for multiple sizes and variations in terms of color and background transparency since you should assume that you will be using these in different mediums in the future. I'm not particularly sure about asking for a gif file, as I never was asked by clients to give them a gif version, so I would guess that it isn't necessary, but don't hesitate to ask for it if you think you will need it since it doesn't take that much time to convert it anyway and you should get everything you need while you are still within the transaction phase of the deal.

Also, I agree with w3bm4st3r. You should ask for the raw file so you could easily pass it on to a different designer and have him or her edit it when you decide to do so in the future and your current designer isn't available.

PNG quality is way better than GIF. When I say way better, I really mean way better. PNGs are like 1080p, while GIFs are like 480p :p I hope I helped a bit :)

Back