Do you use free domains?

ozadin

When it comes to buying anything on the internet, I'm always a bit reluctant and want to try it out before buying it. One of them includes domains. I am only using free domains at the moment because I am considering another website. At the moment, I have no traffic because I haven't released it to the public yet, but I plan on seeing how it does compared to paid domains such as .com, .org, or .net. I am using a .tk domain because it is short and easy to type.

However, most people brush off free domains and think that the owner is always cheap and can't afford a proper domain. Free domain and web hosting on the internet are usually decent, and not much different from paid domains other than bandwidth, storage space, and a few other features. It's also a great way to test some plugins and themes on your website instead of buying a domain, and testing it on the paid domain.

I have used it in past. I used it back in 2011 when I was still new into that kind of thing.

I was still new and there was no one to tell me the benefit of using a paid domain.

I wouldn't use a free domain or one that comes with hosting. If it takes off, I don't want the true owner of the domain to fight me for it when I try to monetize it or move it. That's one less hassle to deal with. If you believe that your idea is of worth, then you need to invest in it from the beginning with all that you have.

I don't think it is a good idea to use free domain for a deployment site except you are only using it for testing purpose. People don't take free domains serious. And they can be collected from you at any time by the provider as they have reserved rights to do so at anytime. Nevertheless, it should be noted that if you provide what the people really need it wouldn't matter if you use a free domain or not.

I don't think it is a good idea to use free domain for a deployment site except you are only using it for testing purpose. People don't take free domains serious. And they can be collected from you at any time by the provider as they have reserved rights to do so at anytime. Nevertheless, it should be noted that if you provide what the people really need it wouldn't matter if you use a free domain or not.

You have hit the nail right on its head. Not only they not take t serious, it never ranks well in Google as well.

^
Yeah, free domains don't rank well on Google unless a lot of work has gone into it. And the fact that people don't take free domain serious is increasing day by day as many people are getting to know a lot about what's involved in putting a website up. Non techie people now have ideas on the cost of getting the necessary things to start a website. But, that's courtesy to the fact that some of us talk too much on forums.:D

^
Yeah, free domains don't rank well on Google unless a lot of work has gone into it. And the fact that people don't take free domain serious is increasing day by day as many people are getting to know a lot about what's involved in putting a website up. Non techie people now have ideas on the cost of getting the necessary things to start a website. But, that's courtesy to the fact that some of us talk too much on forums.:D

Yeah, I think the fact that there are so many forums to talk about this stuff, it isn't a mystery anymore.

Domains are so cheap these days there's hardly any point. When I first registered a domain I paid something like $70, that must have been 96 or 97. Last w/e I registered a .com for $10 with free privacy (you normally have to pay $4 or thereabouts for that service).

There are quite a few TLDs coming up, I wonder how good they are for SEO.

Yeah, I've read that somewhere that free domains should only be used if you want to experiment. I did it myself and in the end, they took it down and didn't really inform me why. In any case, I'm going to look at Google for paid domain.

Free domains are useful for creating tests sites or something personal aimed at friends or family. If you are thinking of something commercial then you need to pay for a yourservice.com type of domain. Customers won't remember it and i doubt google bots will visit as much. They have their uses but not in the business arena.

Free domains are useful for creating tests sites or something personal aimed at friends or family. If you are thinking of something commercial then you need to pay for a yourservice.com type of domain. Customers won't remember it and i doubt google bots will visit as much. They have their uses but not in the business arena.

I agree with you

Back