Do you think the themes available for WordPress are any good, generally?

Uranus

When I start to use WordPress for a new site/blog, it is always a task finding the perfect theme, which is suitable, but most of the free WordPress themes at least, seem too closely related to a specific topic, rather than being quite general.

For example, there are themes for Business, but the uses outside of business for that theme seem very slim, then you have themes for Health and Technology, they just don't suit other topics, and it is hard just finding a more generalized theme.

Would you agree with this argument?

I think everyone who uses Wordpress expects a lot out of themes, but can never find them. Their expectations are too high for a simple, and generic theme. I think a lot of them are good for different purposes, just not me. Some of them are extremely ugly and I would never put it on my site, but I have to respect them because I'm way too lazy to make a simple, easy-to-make Wordpress theme.

The free themes are limited in terms of quality. You can spend hours if not days searching through the glut of them to find one that is useable for your site. I think they are generally meant to be neutral in most cases, but sometimes theme developers will give them a more specific look and feel to a particular industry. If I am going to use a pre-made theme, I would typically go with a commercial one instead. Even though you are paying for it, it's still far cheaper than hiring a custom designer.

I think it is very good if you just start. However, it you want you website looks professional I think you should use paid theme

Back