Do you install WP manually?

tmgenterprises

Do you have to install Wordpress manually every time in order to be more secure? Aren't there things you can do after installing with Softaculous or Fantiastico, such as changing the admin username and such? I always change the admin name and password but am not sure what else I can do to make the site more secure without doing manual installations. My friend, who's the Wordpress queen, just gave me another lecture on using the one-click installs that I normally do.

Nope, I love using one-click installers like Softaclous. Works like a charm and you can easily undo the installation. It's also more safe for people that aren't really tech savvy.

I don't mind installing it manually, but currently I usually use the cPanel within my hosting accounts. They all use a service called SimpleScripts that they partner with to offer these auto installers. Not that installing Wordpress manually is all that hard to begin with, but the two main advantages of using the installers is: 1.) It's faster than uploading all of the files manually. Some web hosts will allow you to upload a zip file then unzip it via the cPanel instead, but it's still often clumsy to work with. 2.) Most web hosts won't provide any support for the base installation of Wordpress if you do it manually, but they will if you use the cPanel installers.

I install Wordpress manually because I've made a couple of core changes.

I don't recommend making core changes but a couple of the features, namely RSS and the rel=next and rel=prev tags on links, required some changes on one particular site.

There may be alternative methods but the site uses Wordpress as a pure CMS and so it served my purpose to hardcode the changes.

I use the provided installers like Fantastico and then update it from within Wordpress. Fantastico is still lagging behind with version 3.3.1 or something.

I went through my hosting company that has an automatic install. I wouldn't know the first thing about installing it manually and didn't realize you could so I am glad that the hosting company has this!

Many hosting companies have the automatic install that is safe and secure so you should be ok doing it that way and there will be no errors that way too.

I use the Fantastico one click to install WordPress. I do change the admin user name and create a complicated password. I also limit the number of free plug-ins. I think many hacker get in that way too.

I typically install wordpress manually, but a lot of hosting providers offer one click wordpress installation in the control panel. I haven't heard of any security risks with using one click installations of wordpress, but I can definitely see it being a possibility. I'd highly recommend taking Tara's advice and using a complicated password. I've heard of black hat people doing google searches with commands like "inurl:wp-admin" which is obviously a huge red flag. You might even want to change your admin login slug to something more discrete besides the default wp-admin for added security.

Yes I do, my host offers a one-click install but it always causes problems when I come to add plugins or install a new theme so I prefer to do it myself. It doesn't take me long to do it - about five minutes, the longest part is waiting for the files to be uploaded via FTP. :)

Hi Dear.
Nope, i don't install Wordpress Manually. I always try to install wordpress with one-click installers like Softaclous. That help me to install wordpress without any coding. I can create user name and password easily using Softaclous. I have already installed Wordpress in my Nova Launcher Prime Apk website.

Back