Do older computer models make good servers?

AngryItalian

I'm thinking about making my old HP pavillion (2003-04) into an apache server or something, so I can host websites on it and use it to develop. Has anyone made a sever from an old PC and had luck? I know its a lot of work, but as a studying web developer I would have to say its well worth my efforts if it gives me satisfying performance.

Also, in case your wondering its the HP Pavillion 554y
SPECS
2.4GHz Intel Celeron
248mb Ram
50gb HD space

This computer was also received to me in a condition where it looked as if it was treated gently or hardly used. Most of the components that matter to the performance have been replaced with new old stock replacement parts as upgrades, I still have the original parts on hand to replace any of these, my question is if I should make it a server, or just salvage it for some other use?

Doesn't looks like server specs to me. Well, I am not a server admin, but a bit familiar with that. It should be like this:

2.4GHz Intel Celeron (Processor is not that bad, but is this a quad core or a simple processor?)
248mb Ram (I would look for 2-4GB ram to make it a nice server)
50gb HD space (Again, I would make it 100-200GB to make things good)

A web server with just a decent ammount of traffic barely takes anything on the hardware. You can even host a decent sized one on a Raspberry Pi. Your specs are fine so you should not worry too much, it is just good that you are making use of your old parts. :)

If you are hosting something by itself and not doing anything else on that device, you should be perfectly fine. Most servers don't take up as much space anyway. I have used my old ThinkPad laptop once for hosting, it's was fine and it had specs that were not as great as yours. So yeah, just try it out!

xHysteria.

It would be fine if you are using the webserver to service not so heavy pages but if you want to support file downloading, or service heavy pages, this would start giving you problems.
Again if there is too much traffic on your site, this PC would surely give up.
Better to use web hosting services, which you can easily google.

Back