Computer for web design and graphic design

petershene

Well, Microsoft is going to end support for Win 7 and my old PC doesn't like Win 10 (I tested it). I'm starting to shop for a replacement desktop tower. I'm not looking for a top-end (e.g. 8 core, water cooled) gaming machine but I might like to play some online games. Other than that my computer needs are fairly pedestrian. I'm not running a bunch of VMs. Creating YouTube videos, number crunching with MatLab or any thing like that.

Looking at refurbed Intel i7 based, quad-core tower PCs, I see prices vary between ~$270 and ~$1500, seemingly based mostly on which generation i7 chip is used. Is there that much difference in the performance of i7 chips or is there something I'm missing?
When i first read this I almost thought it was a question I had asked . Though for me its not that my pc doesn't like windows 10 its that I despise it. At the risk of hijacking your thread or maybe this would lend some insight to both of us I would like to know the same thing as you do except what I would need would be something for my graphic and web design company in east london. Would a lower spec suffice for this bearing in mind that in all likelihood I will be going to Mac unless there are better alternatives that anybody could suggest.

The reason why I am so weary is my partner bought a asus i7 8th gen i think with 16gb Ram, and even NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Shes no gamer. She uses the same software as i do and man her computer is a mess in terms of speed. My hp Pavillion i5 is smashing it at the moment which shouldnt be the case ( im still on windows 7 ). We have taken it in done benchmark tests and all seems to be fine the only thing i can conclude is that its windows 10.

Back