Common Mistakes Webmasters Make - Matt Cutt

ViperDove

Matt Cutt is a Google employee heading the webspam team. In a video, he highlighted the most common mistakes webmasters make. I listed them below.
1. Not making your website crawlable or not having a website at all.
2. Not using the right keywords on your page. The example he gave was this: Don’t just write, “Mt. Everest Height” but write, “How high is Mt. Everest?” I think what he’s saying here is that you should use words that are popular with search engine users. You’ll need the Google keyword tool to find popular keywords.
3. Think about compelling content and marketing, not just link building. You should first make your content compelling before thinking about how to please search engines. On site promotion, he listed marketing activities like paid advertising, community sites, clever guerrilla marketing etc.
(4) The title and description of your most important pages. The title always appears in search engine result. Don’t create untitled pages, make them enticing so that more users will click on it. The description will sometimes appear in search engine snippet & it also determines if users click through to your site or not.
(5) Not using webmaster resources at google.com/webmasters and learning about how Google works and what SEO is about.
Watch the video here:

I think #3 is the most important especially when it comes to blogging! Blogs are all about content and to get the best out of them, it needs to be fresh content that isn't found on any other blog in the niche market and the content needs to give the reader something when they are finished reading it. That will give you a good return rate and probably a nice rank in search engines as well.

This is an amazing video to know about the common mistakes that Webmasters do in their websites and get remove them for more benefit for the site.

Like I always say, people have forgotten the most important part, Number 3. They please search engine but always don't put the people into consideration by making wonderful contents for them. What's the point in ranking high on search engines, or get to your site from there(search engine) and find out your website is just a waste of space?

He is the boss. When he says something, you have to listen to it. They have clearly stated that they don't like article marketing all that much.

To the first point, particularly with Wordpress blogs, there is a setting to discourage the engines from indexing your site. This is fine in the beginning when you are just getting the site set up and it's not ready for prime time yet. But it's important to not forget to turn this off when you are ready to go live.

I've done so much research and time and time again, SEO comes up and everyone has a different or new angle. So much so, that I've completely put it out of my head and #3 has been main focus and priority. The SEO will come, the content will make a reader stay.

To the first point, particularly with Wordpress blogs, there is a setting to discourage the engines from indexing your site. This is fine in the beginning when you are just getting the site set up and it's not ready for prime time yet. But it's important to not forget to turn this off when you are ready to go live.

Yep, it's one of the first things one should do.

This is a great video on SEO. The advice given by Matt cutt are real important things required by webmaster to create an authority site

Matt delivers once again. I agree with those who have said that number three is the most important of all. Keywords, link building and other SEO tricks still help. But what will make your site stand the test of time is if you have quality content that makes readers come back again and again. I always tell myself that my ultimate goal is to make my visitors bookmark my site.

Content is going to rule always. Creating and sharing of valuable information is something that people look for. If your website has a reputation of publishing great content that also gets shared, your online presence will be intact for a longer period of time.

He is the boss. When he says something, you have to listen to it. They have clearly stated that they don't like article marketing all that much.

Yeap, I have to agree with your point of view. Now just in this video but he also gave a hint twice on his twitter account. I don't know why people still consider article marketing as a good stuff..Duhh!!!

I'd also like to add one extremely important point.

GET YOUR OWN DOMAIN AND WEB HOST!

I am honestly shocked by the amount of people on here that think hosting a blog on Blogger is OK. You want to know what happens when you host a blog on Blogger? You get it set up. You start doing well. Right before you get your first check, BOOM! Your website is gone. Google has taken the blog down for no clear reason. You gave them the ownership of your content, and now it's gone forever. The business you worked so hard to build up no longer exists because you went with a free host.

I hate to be so harsh, but if you can't invest $4 a month for web hosting into your business, than the internet business isn't for you. And yes, blogging is a business. If you want to be successful, you have to treat it like one.

Content is king it seems. Any resources to help generate good quality content? Any tools to find out what people are interested in reading about?

Back