Cloud or local

kai_uk

Where do you keep your servers?

There are benefits in the cloud like not needing to administer and maintain your servers, savings with electricity, and less noise, but there is a monthly fee and your data is stored elsewhere in someone elses hands. Do you prefer to manage your own servers or have them hosted in the cloud?

It depends on what kind of files I'm going to save. I would do both because when one has a problem, I will have the other one as a backup. I have learned that always have an alternative because technology is something you have to have a backup. However, I would prefer local because it's safer and better to keep the files that I'm able to keep track of.

I would prefer to have a dedicated hosting company manage the servers my sites are stored on. I don't know anything about managing servers and keeping them secure, so that is a huge setback if I had to do it myself. In addition, they generally take care of the hardware upgrades and the costs associated with such on their end. Some other things to consider is that these servers are typically stored in climate controlled rooms that are secure from many things such as flooding, theft, power failure, leaks, etc... which may not be the case if you are running a server from home. Also, bandwidth can quickly become a problem with your ISP.

I store everything on a local server as I know where it is. Having stuff in the cloud is just something I can't trust yet. Especially, after my hosting lost everything that was "in the cloud" and blamed it on me.

I see no real reason to let somebody else host your servers remotely, unless bandwidth or time is an issue. I prefer to oversee everything with my own two eyes, and be able to change or fix whatever I want at will.

Back