Best Universal Code Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicAlert

Ever since I tried to open and edit a file for a web project or a game mod, i've always wondered: What opens these files the best?

I've been using Sublime 2 for about 1 year now and Notepad ++ for 2, but what else is out there?

Any new fresh ones for me to use? :eek:

There is always Dreamweaver, which I just recently started using. It makes things alot easier then the traditional text editor, however it does have a few setbacks which you will notice within some time. I've been using Notepad++ for around 3 years now, even here recently when I have started using Dreamweaver I somehow manage to get a Notepad++ tab open at times.

I like to use Bluefish. Actually I haven't used any other editor like, say, Notepad++ so I cannot make a comparison but I like the way Bluefish points out mistakes in syntax and nesting.
In my opinion Notepad++ is the best because it is very user friendly. When you enter codes of different language it formats the code automatic and highlight different important details. It is good for debugging.

In my opinion Notepad++ is the best because it is very user friendly. When you enter codes of different language it formats the code automatic and highlight different important details. It is good for debugging.

Actually I was using Bluefish because I was using Debian and I couldn't find Notepad++ for Debian. However, now I am back using Windows 8 because of some technical reasons, I have installed Notepad++. Now I will have a chance to find out why so many people are in favor of using Notepad++.

Does NP++ have auto-completion? I'm in a learning process and auto-completion can be very helpful. I see that Bluefish has auto-completion. I've been using NP++ for basic text editing, but I'm not aware of it having auto-completion.

I always use Notepad++ its light, simple, and fairly robust. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and isn't a compiler, but it does colour code your brackets, etc, and lets you view functions which is useful in the development process. As far as I know it doesn't have auto-completion, at least, I have never used it. It is a very basic editor, and not a compiler.

This is a really useful post on text editors guys, thanks for the info, will definitely try out the other editors.

I always use Notepad++ its light, simple, and fairly robust. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and isn't a compiler, but it does colour code your brackets, etc, and lets you view functions which is useful in the development process.

This is very useful post for me I will say!
This is like getting an altogether new platform for compiling and comparing my codes!
I will definitely try out Bluefish!

Bluefish? I am sure you will not be disappointed. I don't do that much coding but when I load up some code in Bluefish to have a look, it's simply beautiful the way that things are so clearly color-coded and all the nesting loops are clearly laid out to see.

I prefer Notepad++, it's very powerful. Notepad++ is improved version of Notepad. Notepad++ supports every popular programming language with plugins available for the rest. Besides Notepad++ sometimes I use Dreamweaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back