Best hosting for personal/business site?

sheryld

Hi! I see that there are many sub-forums here but I'm a noob about hosting so I don't know which applies here, I'm looking for a good web hosting service for a personal blog that's in the making, I've heard great reviews of 1&1 and I will probably go for them because of their site-building features and because they support business pages too (which I might go into sometime in the future but that's not a priority right now). Do you guys have any preferences?

Hostgator and Go Daddy are most popular web hosting & domain registration services provider companies.
I have never tried 1&1 and also not heard it about before.

I have heard of 1&1 but only heard the name, I don't know anything about them. Many hosting companies are good but I know that Hostgator makes it easy for you if you are going to create a self hosted Wordpress blog. They have an automatic install for Wordpress so you are up in minutes. Then once you have Wordpress installed, there are many themes out there to choose from for your design.

If you decide later to add a business page, there are site builders in most hosting companies.

I heard many complaints about the companies that are being mentioned here. The fact that it are large companies doesn't mean that they are better than others. It can even be the opposite. Often smaller hosts provide better services and allow you to customize plans if needed. And they are mostly not more expensive than the big boys. The company that has my preference is being reviewed on the site weloveourhost.com

I would stay away from 1&1 to be honest. 3/3 members have never heard of the hosting site before, so I would suggest hosting websites like Godaddy and Hostgator. They are both very trusted, offer cheap prices, and easy to set up. If you search around for reviews of any two sites, I guarantee you it would most likely be more than 1&1.

There are also free domains which you can use if you don't want to make any investments. You can use Wordpress, Weebly, Blogger, but generally, people like domains ending in com, org, or net without including the unnecessary .blogspot, .weebly, .wordpress, etc.

I would stay away from 1&1 to be honest. 3/3 members have never heard of the hosting site before, so I would suggest hosting websites like Godaddy and Hostgator. They are both very trusted, offer cheap prices, and easy to set up. If you search around for reviews of any two sites, I guarantee you it would most likely be more than 1&1.

There are also free domains which you can use if you don't want to make any investments. You can use Wordpress, Weebly, Blogger, but generally, people like domains ending in com, org, or net without including the unnecessary .blogspot, .weebly, .wordpress, etc.
I have only heard of them from their TV commercials so I do only know the name. I have to agree with you tho to stay away from them if that is the only way I heard the name and nobody else seems to have even heard of them. Hostgator is quite popular and I have never seen a TV ad for them because their name spreads by their happy customers. I have been happy with them.

I just did a search for reviews on 1&1 and it looks like on one review site they got a 2.6 star out of 5 star average rating based on 72 reviews. Biggest problems people had was bad support, bad value, the features didn't do well and overall was bad. The only thing people were saying good was the uptime and even that didn't get many 5 stars.

Out of the free ones here (if going for free), I would go with Blogger since they do give you a lot for free. But I would recommend your own self hosted blog over free.

The reviews I've seen regrading 1/1 aren't the brightest, and alot of "trust-worthy site indicator" sites mark it as a yellow or red flag, so I'd suggest staying away from that certain host.

The mainstream hosting company that I'd go with is GoDaddy. I'm not sure the pricing is cheap but they are quality and trustworthy (from my experience)

Unlimited hosting Wordpress - hosting4review.blogspot.com

$1.00/mo,UNLIMITED Web Space,UNLIMITED Bandwidth,1 Domains,UNLIMITED Subdomains,800 + Website Templates, Unlimited FTP accounts,UNLIMITED MySQL Databases,30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Hi, sheryld
I don't have that much idea about the site you have mentioned,but if you want to have the best hosting provider at low cost then visit the site 9Cubehosting.com as they are providing the hosting service at low cost with 24/7 customer service and support with guaranteed 99.9% server up time.

Just an update on my front concerning hosting. I've searched and saw that iPages.com have a really reasonable cost and features to come along with it, but some of the technology required by modern web applications aren't really available...

But it is perfect for a laid back user and their personal page.

You can also use HostGator when you are first starting out. They have different hosting services they can provide to fit your needs. Though, eventually as you grow you would need to move on from Hostgator.

Weebly is easy to use so if you are new to website development and looking to create something relatively simple i would go with weebly. If you just want a host where you can install your own package to build a website then hostgator and 1& 1 are both good.

Try narrowing your list of options by looking at the cheapest web host package that can meet your needs at the same time. Do not compromise what had been planned about for the web site just to meet the level of what can just be offered with the cheap web hosting package.

As an alternative hosting solution I can name ASPHostPortal services. They are providing user-friendly plans with useful features and professional technical support.

Back