Adobe Photoshop vs GIMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsam

I have been using GIMP for few years now but as i have gain more experience in designing i am thinking of purchasing Adobe Photoshop but before that i would like that some body tell compare for me Adobe Photoshop vs GIMP as i want to know what are the advantages i would have if i purchase the photoshop.

What are the some extras cool and nice features in Adobe Photoshop that you think are not there in GIMP.

I also used Gimp for years, then started using Photoshop because it was free for one of the graphic design classes that I was taking in school. I think that Gimp is great, but if you have the opportunity and money to spend on Photoshop you definitely should. Photoshop has many more options and features that are built into it when you buy it. You have more options for changing the file extension and editing the size and resolution of your pictures. Making animated images is also a lot simpler on Photoshop! Photoshop is very easy to use, even if you're a beginner as well (but keep in mind that in the first few weeks of you using it, Youtube tutorials will be your best friend!).

Actually not complete knowledge about Gimp, but know about adobe photo shop cs6 and adobe photo shop cs3 has various options to changing the file format and editing the size and resolution of your pictures. Making animated images, cropping image many more features.

Last edited:
They are two different fruits. One is considered a golden standard and something for "pros" to use. The other is for people who do not have the time or the money to purchase such expansive software and have no real use for it.

I've been using GIMP for years just because I do not have the money to buy PS and pirated version of PS aren't good for my morality meter...

There are just way more plugins for Photoshop and some functions that is easier to use and easier to do in Photoshop than in GIMP.

But if you are already used to GIMP or a pro using it, then I see that theres no need for you to get Photoshop.

I tried GIMP once and I couldn't get to grips with it, plus I don't like the name :)

If you can get your hands on Photoshop then use that instead, lot's of guides on the web and it's a lot more powerful.

I tried GIMP once and I couldn't get to grips with it, plus I don't like the name :)

Why on earth did they call it gimp?! It just reminds me of a very horrible scene from pulp fiction... 'get the gimp' !

Anyway... gimp is great for schools, and home users with a limit budget and good morals. But if you can spare the cash and i believe it has moved to a subscription model for licensing meaning monthly/annual payments, then i recommend you upgrade to the industry standard in graphic design software.

Why on earth did they call it gimp?! It just reminds me of a very horrible scene from pulp fiction... 'get the gimp' !

Anyway... gimp is great for schools, and home users with a limit budget and good morals. But if you can spare the cash and i believe it has moved to a subscription model for licensing meaning monthly/annual payments, then i recommend you upgrade to the industry standard in graphic design software.

Haha no idea. Funny, that's one of a few scenes from that movie that has stuck in my mind lol.

I guy recently told me about Pixlr.com, it allows you to do photoediting online in your browser and it's awesome! I know there's a pro option, so not sure if the free one has many limitations but it's still really cool!

Hmm, I use GIMP but I've heard of Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop has more features and it better equipment however Photoshop costs money, GIMP does not. So that's why I've downloaded GIMP, it is free to download. Photoshop costs but has better features. But I'd go with GIMP, free and easy.

Hmm, I use GIMP but I've heard of Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop has more features and it better equipment however Photoshop costs money, GIMP does not. So that's why I've downloaded GIMP, it is free to download. Photoshop costs but has better features. But I'd go with GIMP, free and easy.

If you want something free that's focused on lightweight editing and minimal features, I'd recommend looking into Paint.NET. It's similar to Gimp in terms of features, and it's way more ideal for simpler stuff.

If you want something free that's focused on lightweight editing and minimal features, I'd recommend looking into Paint.NET. It's similar to Gimp in terms of features, and it's way more ideal for simpler stuff.

Seconding Paint.NET. It's especially great for editing screenshots in a batch (which is what I use it for), and cropping/cutting pictures quickly.

I use Photoshop CS6 personally, I know some people swear by GIMP but I just could never get used to it. Photoshop CS6 is a whole lot more professional and user friendly in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back